Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

buyng recreational property

Fletch

Supporting Member
I’ve gotten caught up in reading this morning about these , every 20 years the Amish population doubles! Sit on that thought...

And you know what happens on these cold nights... So look for the population to skyrocket next year.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I’d be hesitant to buy land without at least part of the mineral rights. I’ve heard stories of those minerals being developed and the landowner getting minimal compensation for surface alterations. Also I wouldn’t buy land without road frontage.

Don’t assume the neighborhood won’t change after you buy. Neighboring lands might be subdivided, woods cleared for farming etc. Try to picture what you’ll have if that happens, will it still work for what you want?

Jamie

Ohio
no conveyance of mineral rights is probably a deal breaker for me no matter what, and for the reasons you stated. I'm likely going to wind up buying in a place secluded enough that development should not be a worry for me in this lifetime. nobody knows what can happen, but I'm looking to dodge development around me wherever I buy.

no conveyance of mineral rights is probably a deal breaker for me no matter what, and for the reasons you stated. I'm likely going to wind up buying in a place secluded enough that development should not be a worry for me in this lifetime. nobody knows what can happen, but I'm looking to dodge development around me wherever I buy.

Really hard to buy property with mineral rights anymore. Very very expensive if you do. At least if you are in the Marcellus Region.

cooperve

coshocton
I bought 23.5 acres in Coshocton, County 10 years ago for hunting at just less than $1900 per acre. My cousin has 100 acres butted to one side which made is worth more to me. Mostly big ditches with a creek and multi-floure
rose but, some day it will have some nice timber (15 years?).

The county re-appraised anything considered farm ground to $5000 per acre and doubled my property tax. Probably due to shale oil (never see it where I am) and Amish.

Don’t plan to outbid Amish for property unless you have lots of spare cash.

JC HUNTER

Great thread! I've been looking at purchasing some recreational property and these are some good comments and suggestions. Thanks!