Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckslayers 2017 Buck

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Coming off one of my best bucks in 2016 I had high hopes for the 2017 season. Mid summer comes along with only 1 or 2 bucks I would consider shooters showing up on cam had my outlook for early season appearing bleak. I hunted 19 times in October seeing 58 antlerless deer and 32 bucks. Only one buck I saw through october was a potential shooter as a wide 8 point. Trail cam photos through october were sub par to say the least, lots of doe, occasional 1.5 year old bucks coming through. That was the norm until my October 24th cam check when the woods seemed to explode with deer movement. All 9 cams I was running at the time had 3.5 year old bucks or older on them, most during daylight. Based off trail camera history in the recent years, I knew I had to be hunting hard every day the first 3 days of november.

My October 29th cam check revealed several mature bucks using an edge of pine thickets along open timber loaded with acorns. I decided to hunt that location the next 4 mornings.

Morning one I saw two small bucks at 11 AM and 11:20 AM.

Morning two was packed full of action from daylight until I left at 11. Small bucks pushing doe and deer filtering through all morning but still no shooters.

Morning three I awoke to a rain shower, after checking the radar and seeing a break in the action I knew the deer would be on their feet so I headed out. A little after 8 AM, I caught movement in the pine thicket moving towards me. I saw a nice size left side antler and immediately grabbed my bow. He stepped out around 22 yards and I let him have it, I would not advise anyone take the shot I took but I was confident. Nearly a frontal shot, slight quartering I punched through the right side of chest and out behind his left leg in the axilla.

He nearly did a backflip and landed on his head before he bolted into the pines running downhill. I heard a branch snap and all was silent. Being impatient, I had to check the impact site. Hair, more hair, then blood within 5 yards. Bubbles, perfect I knew he had to be down. I called my dad and waited about 30 minutes for him to show up. We tracked him about 50-70 yards over the hill before I saw him piled up. The shot placement went through the pulmonary vessels coming out of the heart and through the left lung before exiting.

I green scored this buck at 133 1/8 inches with 3 5/8 inches of abnormal points. I estimate his age to be 3.5. I am extremely lucky and blessed to be able to spend the time in the outdoors with my family and wouldnt trade it for anything.