Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck Decoy

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a Flambeau buck. It's called the Boss Buck, or something similar. I've only used it once, and it did bring in a nice 135" nine point and scared the heck out of four or five does. It's for sale if you are interested. I think it's missing one of the removable ears. As I said, I never use the thing, so I don't remember which ear is missing.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've tried a bedded bow and buck together and did draw a doe in from 150 yds. It stayed as scared as hell. Used a doe only and scared 3 does. I may give it another try but I'm almost convinced decoys only work on TV shows, then they probably only show the 1 time it worked and not the 20 times it scared deer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Save your money! Seriously its not like ya see on tv.
Quit using them yrs ago,got one you can buy and it has both ears.lol
I wouldn't use one either. I think they spook more deer than not. There is a chance that you'll pull the big boy in with one, but that's not a chance I'm willing to take.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I like mine and still use it. I always, always use it as a buck decoy and only use it in open areas. I have never had a doe spook from it (well skirt and trot off but no blowing). Mine is a Delta, and I don't know if they still make it. I added some light plastic from a white trash bag to the tail and ears which gives it a bit of movement if there is a breeze. I think it helps a little bit.

We have the Carry Lite buck decoy. Bought it off of a guy on Craigslist several years ago pretty cheap. Had to add a few screws and do some fitting on the rear legs as they kept popping off. You pretty much have to carry it in assembled as it would be a pretty noisy set-up if you didn't. It looks realistic. The few times I've had it out I never really had any good bucks pass by that would have seen it to see what their reaction would be.

GOBUCKS2511

I have the Primos Scarface decoy and love it. It is light, easy to set up and quiet.

I normally only used a decoy on open field edges. This year I decided to set up up on an old iron ore road that runs through my property. During the rut bucks are constantly cruising this particular area which happens to be big timber on the edge of a thicket. If they dont wind or see a hot doe, they keep trucking, so I decided to try the decoy.

Bruce Jenner is my decoy's name, since it is supposed to be a buck but I used it as a doe (lol) on this old road. An hour later the big 9 pt that I killed came right in on a string. No doubt if he didnt see that decoy he wouldnt have came in to bow range. Oh.....within 20 minutes of shooting the 9 point I had 5 more deer under me.....they paid little attention to the decoy that was within 10 yds of them.

Several things to make sure of when using a decoy:

1.) Spray it down with scent killer. I also like to use Frank's Do Urine if I am using the decoy as a doe.
2.) Make sure you place it exiting the field edge. Bucks seem to hurry into the decoy since it looks like its leaving the area.
3.) Deer will nearly always circle downwind of the decoy so its best to position the decoy so the buck will have to get between you and the decoy as it circles downwind.
4.) Dont over hunt a decoy. Just like everything else, you dont want to educate the deer as to what you're doing. I used my decoy once this hunting season (with success) and twice last season.

Have fun!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have the Primos Scarface decoy and love it. It is light, easy to set up and quiet.

I normally only used a decoy on open field edges. This year I decided to set up up on an old iron ore road that runs through my property. During the rut bucks are constantly cruising this particular area which happens to be big timber on the edge of a thicket. If they dont wind or see a hot doe, they keep trucking, so I decided to try the decoy.

Bruce Jenner is my decoy's name, since it is supposed to be a buck but I used it as a doe (lol) on this old road. An hour later the big 9 pt that I killed came right in on a string. No doubt if he didnt see that decoy he wouldnt have came in to bow range. Oh.....within 20 minutes of shooting the 9 point I had 5 more deer under me.....they paid little attention to the decoy that was within 10 yds of them.

Several things to make sure of when using a decoy:

1.) Spray it down with scent killer. I also like to use Frank's Do Urine if I am using the decoy as a doe.
2.) Make sure you place it exiting the field edge. Bucks seem to hurry into the decoy since it looks like its leaving the area.
3.) Deer will nearly always circle downwind of the decoy so its best to position the decoy so the buck will have to get between you and the decoy as it circles downwind.
4.) Dont over hunt a decoy. Just like everything else, you dont want to educate the deer as to what you're doing. I used my decoy once this hunting season (with success) and twice last season.

Have fun!

Great sound advice! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your successes! Any pics?

GOBUCKS2511

Deer6.jpg

deer4.jpg

Last edited: