Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock's deer hunts '12-'13

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Didn't plan to hunt today, but... On the way into the shop at 4, I saw two deer on my neighbor's place in a cut corn field. I didn't think much about it and drove on into the shop. At 420, Mason called me to tell me about the big herd of deer all the kids saw on the bus this morning. Apparently, there were 11 total that crossed out of our small woods and over to the neighbor's. Four of them were bucks, one was supposedly really big. So, I asked KR if she would come into the shop so I could take Mason over for a look around. We snuck along the ditch, didn't see any deer where I expected them to be. At the end of the ditch, Mason looked in the opposite direction we'd been looking and saw a doe about 100 yards or so. He put the gun on her, but I told him not to shoot. It was a short, sweet hunt, and I feel pretty sure he could have killed the doe if I'd have let him shoot. Good clean fun, and no one got hurt - including the deer!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good stuff Brock, its situations like that many hunters have killed a real pig of a buck. Call it blind luck,right place-right time,a whim or the stars were aligned but over the years I've heard many hunters act on a spur of the moment reaction to a deer sighting like this and the deer Gods were generous to them. I've acted on my gut several times and have gotten deer over the years myself. Sorry it didn't pan out for you guys but quick short hunts like that are always exciting and memorable because you know the deer were just there and wonder if they moved on thru or are bedded down close by and which big buck was it. Good luck next time and thanks for sharing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm sure it was. Heck, my heart was thumping pretty good as we eased into position to glass the ditch. I really expected we'd find them there, just didn't happen. Deer show up where they shouldn't be, and disappear from where they should be pretty quick. Part of what makes it fun I guess. I hate winter, but I think he'll still get a chance if the weather gets nasty.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went over to Ross Co to check the cam and scatter some corn. I found a coyote den under construction! I found it due to smelling the dang things which caused me to look around a little. Gonna have to hang a necklace for 'em soon!

Mason and I were not able to hunt Sat evening of muzzy season. It's a good thing we didn't, or he would have likely killed one of the small bucks that have been coming to the corn! The big 7 has been coming in everyday, but the last few days have all been after shooting light. I feel pretty confident if we get some cold temps and snow before season goes out, Mason will get a crack at him!

Attachments

• WGI_0004.jpg
    WGI_0004.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 285
  • WGI_0013.jpg
    WGI_0013.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 260

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason continues to make me proud! His best friend Noah doesn't get to deer hunt much, and hasn't killed a deer. Mason wants to take him to the blind tonight in hopes of him finally getting one. Noah just proved he can shot the crossbow well, and we are heading out shortly. Wish us luck!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took Mason and Noah to the blind last night. It's not really surprising that no deer came in with the warm temps, and the fact that the boys had a ball shooting at squirrels with Mason's air rifle. They did not kill any! :) Still they had a great time, and that is all that matters to me.
I went back in there today to pull the card on the cam, and sadly found the 7 point had dropped a side. Another decent 8 with a couple of broken tines has started to come to the corn, so maybe if we get some cold and snow Mason will still get a crack at a decent buck.

Attachments

• IMG-20130113-00622.jpg
    IMG-20130113-00622.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 279
  • WGI_0009.jpg
    WGI_0009.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 254
  • WGI_0022.jpg
    WGI_0022.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 261
  • WGI_0028.jpg
    WGI_0028.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 245

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My name is not Ric or Ron. If I find that shed it will be after deer season while running beagles in there, or maybe in early turkey season. Either way, I will have to trip over a log or piece of fence and have it poke me in the forhead to find it. :) I love to spend a lot of time in the woods, doing most anything, but I am only good for about two hours of shed hunting a year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I had another awesome hunt tonight. We saw a ton of birds and squirrels raiding the corn. Shortly after 5, Mason said "there's a buck". We got everything situated in the blind for him to shoot, and the buck came right in. He is HUGE. I'd never really paid that much attention to this deer in the pictures because he just has a spike on one side and looks to be broke off on the other. He is always with the big 7 or another buck, so I told Mason to hold off. The deer was at 10 yds broadside for several minutes before another buck (shed) came in. I finally told Mason he could shoot the spike if he wanted, but by the time I did he boogered out a bit. He jumped OVER the other buck but only went a short distance. After 5 minutes or so, the shed buck came back in with the spike feeding maybe 30 yards or so beyond him. The shed buck stood feeding at 10 steps for probably 10 minutes, with Mason waiting on a good shot at the spike. He wasn't sure he wanted to shoot... so he just didn't. I swear, this may not be my kid!:) I could hear a third deer walking around and suspect it was the big 7 (who is also shed now), but we never saw it. The bucks eventually walked off...and Mason started berating himself for not killing one of them. I gave him quite a pep talk that we don't need any more deer, and we had all the fun with none of the mess, etc. It was an awesome hunt having those deer so close, and seeing my kid watch them through the scope WITHOUT pulling the trigger!

I am planning to take him out again tomorrow with the weather supposedly moving in. If he decides to shoot (even the little shed buck) I'm gonna let him. Really hoping one with some antler left gives him an opportunity though!

Pictured below is the HUGE buck with baby-sized horns that Mason could have easily killed along with a pic of the little buck I believe was with him. Impossible to say since he had shed, but they are often together.

Attachments

• WGI_0023.jpg
    WGI_0023.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 291
  • WGI_0018.jpg
    WGI_0018.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 281