Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason go huntin

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We had to come really close for us to see. We did see a heron and a few squirrels. We made too much noise, laughing, a time or two. Probably didn't help the situation, but who cares. Tonight, we have a plan, not a good one, but a plan regardless.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I missed this thread. Glad to see your bringing it back for another season Brock. Can't wait to see how your guys season goes. Good luck fellas.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Brock- love it. The laughter shared. The memories made. Who cares if you blew the hunt you did not blow the memory. It brings tears to my eyes. Enjoy the hunt but enjoy the memories more. Cant wait TOO follow throughout the season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good grief, whatever that is to start the thread isn't what I typed! Ha! We didn't see any deer on our first sit of the year...going out now to try again.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking forward to reading up on your hunts. You have my cell if there are any hero shots. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, as is par for the course, this evening's plans got shot out the window. We arrived at the property where we planned to set up only to find a neighboring farmer filling up a barn with freshly cut hay. Nice, right where we were hoping to be. Keep in mind, this barn yard has seen no noticeable human activity for a heck of a long time! Oh well. We switched gears quick, headed to a stand at the opposite end of the area I wanted to be in. All we saw was a big nanny doe and her fawn. They provided enough entertainment, hung around from till well after dark. We waited 'em out, and once I was sure they were gone we tried to slip out quietly... only to have a heavy sounding deer bound off from just behind the stand. Unhandy, and I really hope it wasn't one of our targets. We thought we heard one slip off the hill in that direction but the continued silence and complete darkness was enough to encourage us to try getting out. You just can't stay in there forever, but GOSH, I hate bumping a deer under a set up like that! Maybe next time...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes we did! I'm working on another plan that we'll put into effect tomorrow if conditions are right. One thing is certain- we will have a great time!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm doing a poor job of keeping up with this thing so far.. We've been out three or four more times, seen deer every sit but they have been all antlerless. Our target(s) are showing up sporadically on the one cam I have out. I am certain they are not using the same drainage they were earlier in September, at least not as regularly. I wanted to get out today and set stands across the road, but was unable to do to time. Not enough time in a day! We'll get on 'em eventually I suspect.

One quick note about last night's hunt; Mason fell asleep. I looked around his side of the tree and saw a doe and fawn approaching from about 20 yards. I poked him in the shoulder to wake him up as the deer stepped behind a cedar tree. He jumped and said "where is he?" Hehe. Poor kid was apparently dreaming that he was asleep in the tree when the one he is looking for came in, and in his dream I woke him up just as I did in real life. He was pretty disappointed to see the doe step out at 10 yards when he was looking for a buck... Added to the fun a bit!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I really like this thread, every time I see it pop up I anticipate something really good happening. Good luck to you and Mason.