Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead recommendation, what are you shooting?

rsmith

Gottcha. A friend of mine did that as well and a buck of a lifetime got away. It didn't help the arrows he was shooting weighed next to nothing, they were black eagle carnivores I think, but they were cut to 27 inches and he hit smack dab in the middle of the shoulder he said. Arrows barely penetrated anything since the head took most of the momentum to open and the arrow was to light.

rsmith

Hahaha well idk what to tell you on that 😂 those things are made out of concrete or something!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You guys shoot whatever works for you.My broadheads bust right through the shoulders.200 grain Woodsman Broadheads.

Attachments

• 0813161941.jpg
    0813161941.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 132

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We'll see how these fixed blades that I have perform as far as damage and blood loss. If I'm impressed then I might make the switch.

rsmith

We'll see how these fixed blades that I have perform as far as damage and blood loss. If I'm impressed then I might make the switch.
I will be curious to see as well since they are only a 1". Deffinatly makes you focus on a perfectly placed shot more. If those don't work for you I got some other broadheads you can try out if you want. Some NAP bloodrunners and some Trocars that are built the right way. Trocars just need new blades but you're more than welcome to have them.

rsmith

Just figured I would throw it out there. And well shooooooot if he shoots em them you are bound to shoot at least a 140" deer with them and have him drop like a bag of bricks

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I shot thunderheads Chad.
Hit a buck in the shoulder with them one time and barely penetrated shooting 72 lbs.
Hit last yr's buck in the shoulder with the Woodsman and plowed right through and stuck in the opposite shoulder shooting 47 lb recurve.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I shot thunderheads Chad.
Hit a buck in the shoulder with them one time and barely penetrated shooting 72 lbs.
Hit last yr's buck in the shoulder with the Woodsman and plowed right through and stuck in the opposite shoulder shooting 47 lb recurve.
So it's not just rages that don't penetrate the shoulder

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The cut on contact heads just seem to penetrate better when hitting bone.
Hell thats all they used back in the day,they didnt have all these fancy heads to choose from.
Look at the game Fred Bear killed with a cut on contact head.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I've got a snuffer that didn't survive the paddle... Nothing is fool proof.. I've spent the money to find out...

SamJohnRoth

Well as I didnt want to hijack the arrow thread I figured I would start my own. I have been looking at new broadheads for this year as I just dont feel comfortable with the heads I have right now for whatever reason. I have Easton Injexion arrows weighing in around 425 grains, but I am forced to shoot deep six only heads which limits my options in broadheads. 37" Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT 30 bowstring. I currently have muzzy trocars on my arrows but after getting out and shooting them I just don't feel 100% confident with there flight consistency. I have tried Ramcats and although they flew exactly like my field point out to 80, the tips of the blades caught on my quiver and bent every tip that came in contact with the quiver so I got rid of those. I have shot DRT's and those just didnt like to group well either. I was looking at a fixed blade broadhead to maximize my penetration and because I just don't 100% trust mechanical broadheads. I was looking at either NAP thunderhead razors which look like a great head, strickland helix, qad exodus, wasp drone, or slick tricks. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these heads and if so how did they perform for you?

Good idea to not hijack the arrow head thread but I think this needs its own thread. I've been using thunderheads all my life and I never had a problem with them.