Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow hunting in HOA common area

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
Hey all, I'm new to the forum but I've been searching around for this topic with not a lot of luck. I'm basically just looking for opinions on hunting in my Home Owners Association common area. I live in a very small neighborhood (about 30 houses) that has about 5 acres of common area with a pond. The 5 acres are mostly wooded, with a BUNCH of deer activity. Here are all the facts that I know to be true so far:

- I will only bow hunt this land
- The by-laws and covenants of my HOA do NOT mention anything about hunting restrictions or even the discharge of a projectile.
- The ODNR does NOT mention anything about restrictions on hunting HOA land.
- The township that I live in does NOT have hunting restrictions.
- The 5 acre common area is several hundred yards away from the nearest house in the neighborhood.
- The HOA is not a private company, it's run by the neighborhood elected president and board (all very nice people).
- The common area is surrounded by at least 50-100 acres of neighboring wooded properties.

So here's the deal...in MY opinion, everything seems as if I could hunt my 5 acres that I jointly own with no problem at all. I understand that I could run into an issue of tracking the deer onto a neighboring property, but that's a separate issue that I can resolve by knocking on a few doors to ask for permission (just in case). So here's my main question/concern. Do you guys think that I should/need to ask permission of my neighbors/HOA if I can bow hunt back in the woods? If you were in my shoes, would you just go ahead and hunt back there? There's probably some info that I'm forgetting to mention, but I'm really interested in everybody's opinion. Please respond and help me out, THANKS!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Weird situation. It might work out until Suzy homemaker sees you dragging a dead deer down the street and calls her neighbor the lawyer on the phone.

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
Bigslam, that's my only fear honestly. I think I'm ok within the law and rules wise, but good ole Suzy might be watching out from her window. The good thing about that situation, however, is that my personal yard backs right up to the woods that I would be hunting. It's a perfect situation, but I'm having trouble deciding if I should or not. Like I said guys...there are NO by-laws or covenants stating that I can't. I really appreciate the feedback, keep them coming.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I would verify with the HOA board prior to trying it. If they give you the go ahead then you are covered. The problem is retrieving a dead deer from a neighbors property. If they say no, then you're screwed. All in all it sounds like a bad idea.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Legally you may be right and if I was in the situation i would prbly be thinking the same thing you are...."hey, there are no laws that I can see that could prevent me from doing this"

But the other part of me would be saying, this is not an ask for foregiveness instead of permission situation...it's what I don't see in front of me that I would be more concerned with. HOA's can have some pretty nasty tricks up their sleeves sometimes...and usually don't work well if you don't get their buy in beforehand.

Suzy homemaker/wrecker, would likely call the law enforcement before the HOA, so you could at least get their opinion, or a verbal, that you would be ok.

Must be a pretty nice deer in that area to push so hard for hunting 5 acres...good luck with him, hope you get a chance!

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
Maybe I'll talk to a few of the "cool" neighbors near me that have lived in the neighborhood longer and see what they think. I'll then go to the president of the HOA (guy lives about 5 doors down from me) and have a talk with him. I know it's only 5 acres, but it's surrounded by many. I've had corn and a trail cam out there for a few weeks. The first two days I had 79 pics. Too many doe to count, and at least 5 different bucks with 3 different shooters, one being a BIG 10 point. Along with all of your opinions, I'm leaning towards not doing it, but it's tough. I think about it every day.

Last edited:

Hunter II

How long have you lived there? Do you know your neighbors well and how do they feel about hunting? Are you able to shoot your bow in the backyard without freaking anyone out? How often do the neighborhood kids get out into the common area? If there are that many deer, find out who has had their flowers eaten. Mornings will be the best times to hunt while most everyone sleeps late or stays inside out of the cold. Print out the states law on landowner liability for hunting related accidents to show the HOA.

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
How long have you lived there? Do you know your neighbors well and how do they feel about hunting? Are you able to shoot your bow in the backyard without freaking anyone out? How often do the neighborhood kids get out into the common area? If there are that many deer, find out who has had their flowers eaten. Mornings will be the best times to hunt while most everyone sleeps late or stays inside out of the cold. Print out the states law on landowner liability for hunting related accidents to show the HOA.

I've lived there for a little over 2 years now. My next door (both sides) and directly across the street (both sides) are all awesome neighbors. They always see me coming home from public land hunts and ask me if I had any luck. One of my next door neighbors told me that I should just sit out on my back deck and take one down, but he's more of a good ole boy like most of us. I shoot my bow in my back yard probably 3 times a week and nobody says a word. Great idea to find out if anybody is having any flower beds chewed up, thanks Hunter.

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
**** Also, nobody in the neighborhood really uses the common land until the spring/summer months. The community access to the public land directly butts up against MY side yard. I haven't seen anybody go down to the common ground in weeks.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
**** Also, nobody in the neighborhood really uses the common land until the spring/summer months. The community access to the public land directly butts up against MY side yard. I haven't seen anybody go down to the common ground in weeks.

No offense but don't be "that guy" when it comes to your neighborhood. Good neighbors are more important than deer. Maybe this investigation will open up some leads for you.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
X2

TOO many variables. Seems like it would be impossible to avoid any negativity/back lash.

Probably right, I have no experience with hoa's. It sounds very tempting though since you say you have 3 shooters.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Are you getting daytime activity on your cams? Maybe it's not even worth it if they're coming in after dark.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I would talk to the neighbors and make sure they don't care. there may be no bylaws right now, but if old Suzy gets her panties in a bunch, there might be in the very near future. The bowhunter in me says "screw em, give one of those shooters a dirt nap" but I don't have to live around these people.

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
Are you getting daytime activity on your cams? Maybe it's not even worth it if they're coming in after dark.

Almost all of the pics are daytime...I've never seen anything like it. I almost feel like I'm cheating, but I've put my time in on private and public land...hunting is hunting. The doe that come into my cam are like clockwork; 7:15 AM, 4PM, 5PM. The bucks are all very random daytime pics. I really appreciate the feedback, you guys and this site are truly the best there is. I'm torn fellas. I'll definitely be keeping everybody posted.