Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boogity boogity boogity

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
These guys are moving a ton faster than we are. That said, the safety equipment has come aomg way. It has trickled down to the small town tracks. Even in a four cylinder truck class, the roll cages (only as good as the guy welding them up), the safety harnesses (with expiration dates), the head and neck restraint devices. . . Just everything has come a long way from the days of buying a car Thursday and racing it by Friday or Saturday. Knock the glass out. Chain the doors shut. Yank the seats out. Let's go racing. Those days are pretty forgotten at this point. Sadly, it comes from Dale Sr type accidents. Even our local tracks added driveshaft loops as a must have safety item. Why? Because a local guy had a driveshaft come loose, enter his floorboard, and take out most of his calf. Just a shame how we come to getting some of the safety devices, but we are better for it.

To hear his voice after that crash was tough to listen to. In my short racing career I have had some scary moments. Hit the wall in front of my wife and daughter a couple years ago. The hit wasn't scary. Knowing where she was sitting and that I had to talk to her in the pits after was scary. 🤣 The double rollover crash last year was puckery though for sure. You stop rolling and sort of do a systems check. Fingers and toes? Yep. Arms and legs? Yep. After your brain processes it, you are sort of like "I think I'm going to try to climb out of this thing and see what that feels like."

Last edited:
Reactions: Clay Showalter