Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bonus weekend

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Do you honestly think hunters took the time to contact their representatives over the "loss" of two days of shotgun hunting? I do not.

I would and do. But not in losing the 2 day bonus late season hunt. But I did contact to object to adding the 2 day bonus early ML hunting in October.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Congrats on the anniversary Mike. We will hit 15 years early this fall.

Changing these regs is like entitlement reform. Once you give people something its almost impossible to take back....

Yep. Especially after you've built them up for years that we have too much money. That's like saying for years the food stamp program has too much money, doubling the money they get, then trying to pull it back. Not only will they scream, but you don't have a leg to stand on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Contacting representatives about wildlife management is barking up the wrong tree...

It was always my understanding the DOW was a seperate entity from any other Govt function. I was told this was the case to keep politics OUT of management of wildlife. What do I know, apparently folks that can't manage a budget think they can manage wildlife.

If its a choice between a DOW that have headed in what I perceive to be the wrong direction for the last decade or so, and a State governing body, I'll take the DOW everyday of the week.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Contacting representatives about wildlife management is barking up the wrong tree...

It was always my understanding the DOW was a seperate entity from any other Govt function. I was told this was the case to keep politics OUT of management of wildlife. What do I know, apparently folks that can't manage a budget think they can manage wildlife.

If its a choice between a DOW that have headed in what I perceive to be the wrong direction for the last decade or so, and a State governing body, I'll take the DOW everyday of the week.

On paper it's a separate entity. In reality,

1. Lobbyist put pressure on the lawmakers and the governor to get their way.
2. The governor appoints the head of the DNR and board members of the wildlife council.
3. Directive and direction for the DOW comes from Lobbysts through lawmakers and the governor.
4. The Head of the DOW and the Council puts pressure on those making the recommendations.
5. The recommendations they want are recommended and passed..
6. It looks like the system worked as designed, except you can't see the lobbyists pulling the strings.

That's how every government ran organization runs. It's why lobbyists exist and spend billions a year..

The trouble is, the guy at the bottom made a change recommendation the string pullers and paid for politicians didn't like. So now they're flexing their muscles..

The strings are always pulled at the top Brock, whether we see it or not.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Understood. I would view the representatives voices their dispeasure as a blatant disclosure of their lobbyist. They showed their hand - and they have no voice in the discussion (or shouldn't by design). That is why I do not believe for a minute these "Reps" are worried about their constituents ----- its lobbyist.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Understood. I would view the representatives voices their dispeasure as a blatant disclosure of their lobbyist. They showed their hand - and they have no voice in the discussion (or shouldn't by design). That is why I do not believe for a minute these "Reps" are worried about their constituents ----- its lobbyist.

There is a reason I don't fight this anymore man. I'm not naming names but last winter I got a call from a lobbyist/lawyer. I was given two options. Lets just say they have more lawyers on retainer than could buy dinner for even once. Their hand has clearly been show to me. I was told I could go after the Dow all I wanted but blank company, blank company, and blank company, was to not be mentioned by name anymore.

beaston

Heres the actual letter. PDF format http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...j4GICQ&usg=AFQjCNHyb2xu3PQJDRPoZ-Qmj3nFVHp8-Q

The challenge did not sway Zody.

"We've provided the council with background information, as well as the process we went through in developing the deer proposals," said Zody on Tuesday. "The information has been laid out for them, as well as for the Ohio Farm Bureau, Quality Deer Management Association and other outdoor groups. We also provided sportsmen's comments from open houses around the state and on the ODOW web site."

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice to see the DNR stood their ground. I wonder if the politicians will bring in auditors like they did Wisconsin.

I'll send him an email with my appreciation.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice to see the DNR stood their ground. I wonder if the politicians will bring in auditors like they did Wisconsin.

I was very happy to hear today that the council didn't back down. It was pretty damn refreshing.

Huckleberry Finn

I think we are on our way to becoming the new Wisconsin; or the old Pennsylvania of deer control.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I enjoyed reading that. I would have liked a bigger cut back, but I'll be happy with what we've got, and especially happy the lawmakers were shot down.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It is definitely a step in the right direction. Legislators poster, but pissed off constituents can make waves. Lets hope we don't have to make a tsunami...

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio

That article is crap. All it says, is that the OWC rejected the opposition and went right on ahead and approved the changes. Of course they did. They are all former Farm Bureau folks. The old timer talking about 1957 was friggin great! This is 2013 you MORON! As long as we have former Farm Bureau folks proposing the regs and former Farm Bureau old timers on the Council then we'll continue to get more of the same. It is kind of funny that the legislators were opposed to the elimination of the 2 day gun. Don't they know the DOW will get just as many if not more dead deer from October's Muzzy and they'll all be antlerless. Woohoo!!!

Yes, thank goodness we have the Farm Bureau watching out for our deer herd in Ohio. I would hate to have someone else in charge.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That article is crap. All it says, is that the OWC rejected the opposition and went right on ahead and approved the changes. Of course they did. They are all former Farm Bureau folks. The old timer talking about 1957 was friggin great! This is 2013 you MORON! As long as we have former Farm Bureau folks proposing the regs and former Farm Bureau old timers on the Council then we'll continue to get more of the same. It is kind of funny that the legislators were opposed to the elimination of the 2 day gun. Don't they know the DOW will get just as many if not more dead deer from October's Muzzy and they'll all be antlerless. Woohoo!!!

Yes, thank goodness we have the Farm Bureau watching out for our deer herd in Ohio. I would hate to have someone else in charge.

That is yet to be seen.. There is a big difference between December shotgun and early October muzzleloader. For starters crops are still on and the woods still dense, so no long shots across fields or in the woods.. Heat and bugs might keep people home.. One shot vs three. And lack of bonus tags. All of these things are working against it. The only thing working for it is there will be more deer alive in early Oct than there are post gun. But that'll likely work out across seasons. Last year bonus gun harvest was down -20% Does harvested was 9,610 and button bucks 2,299..