Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Black Bear?

buckcrazy1

I'm pretty sure it's a bear, which is great if u ask me, I want them to come back strong like our turkeys and bobcats are! But I was about to say that it lucky that it didn't take it off the tree because they do that allll the time to my buddy in PA , but then I read it comment above how it did lol I'd say u have a good chance to see one while it deer hunting and that would be awesome!!! I live in Lancaster and there was a black bear hit by a car here about two months ago!!!! So if they're all the way up here I'm sure that u guys have a healthy population of them!! If I were u I would go ask restaurant's for their old grease and put it out to try to get more pics of them! Thanks for posting, this made my day!:)

Mooosie

I got a full body picture of a nice size bear on a trail cam in vinton county. Have only seen him once, think he was passing through looking for a sow

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies guys. What's the chances this thing is still in the area? They cover a pretty big area, correct? Only pic I have of it. Also when I walked up on the trail camera, the clips were unbuckled and the camera was on the ground. Nothing stolen, nothing broken.

Good chance he was scratching his back on the camera or something along those lines. I had cows knock my camera off before. I only know because there were a couple close up pics of the cows, then sideways ones, then the camera was facing up in the air.

As far as how long they will stay, that's a crap shoot. We have had lots of sighting in Jefferson County in recent years. Some sightings in the woods, many off back porches as the bears were digging through garbage. They seemed to all happen at once and then disappear. Most of the time it was breeding season and the cubs were being forced to leave mama.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
uploadfromtaptalk1443127167328.jpgVinton county bear.

buckcrazy1

What part of Vinton!? I have a few hundred acres I hunt that my uncle owns off of ponetown road right by the little town of Ray and I've seen boar out there but never any bear yet!

brancher147

Definitely a bear. I hunt National Forest in Virginia and West Virginia and they are like raccoons they are so common. You were lucky to have a camera left, they love to chew them up and roll on them and smack them around. BTW you definitely do not want bears to become common. That is a big reason I like coming to Ohio, no bears! We have so many bears now in WV that they are affecting deer and turkey populations in a very negative way. Bears kill as many fawns as coyotes and I don't think I have to tell you what happens if a bear comes along a clutch of turkey eggs. Don't get me wrong, they are super neat animals to see and I see plenty of them but they can become a nuisance.

jlacorte2

Central Ohio
Well we have another picture and video of a bear in the same area. About 700 yards as the crow flies from last years picture. This bear did the same thing, tore the camera off the tree. This year we got it on video, just not sure how to upload the video of it. IMG_1251.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Definitely a cool animal to see... Here in Jersey they are taking over the woods.. We just had a week long archery and muzzle loader hunt.. Prior to the hunt I had quite a few on camera, but mostly nocturnal. Numerous bears were taken, but my tag still goes unfilled... Maybe I'll get lucky in the second half of the season in Dec. When putting out a camera in bear country its wise to put it in a lock box. Bears quite often bite them. I believe its the human scent on the camera, esp. if you just had your hands in a big bag of donuts. But in the long run.... You don't want them in Ohio. Definitely no good for the deer herd.

jlacorte2

Central Ohio
This picture was about 2 weeks after we hung the camera and we didn't return for 2 weeks after the picture. Like everyone is saying we thought it was cool, but not sure how we feel about having them around. Hopefully it was just passing through. This is on public land. Would like to know if some of the locals around there have been seeing any. This is 2 in the last two years and both bears pulled the camera off the tree. Probably should start thinking about those lock boxes.

goshenmountainman

We have lots of bear near me, I have had trail cameras torn up and carried away by them, they are a nuisance around here. If you look you can see his nose on the right and the side of his head and that is his right ear. It is a young bear, his head is skinny with great big ears..

goshenmountainman

You really don't need them, they take a lot of fawns every year around here. I have seen 9 bear this fall during archery season and 6 deer in the woods, that tells you what happens to your deer herd over time. People around here hate them...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You really don't need them, they take a lot of fawns every year around here. I have seen 9 bear this fall during archery season and 6 deer in the woods, that tells you what happens to your deer herd over time. People around here hate them...

You back to normal after your accident on the mower???