Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Biggest Buck I Ever Saw!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Thought I'd give some background on my profile picture and the story that goes with it.

A couple of years ago, I was hunting from a blind. After several does had been through, a couple of bucks came in and were standing nose to nose to each other, both of them being almost broadside to me.

As I was watching them, this HUGE buck came up from behind them and was standing straight on from me. I couldn't tell you how many points he had (I always forget to count them :redface: ) but he was wide, tall and lots of mass.

As I was shaking, I kept begging these other 2 bucks to get out of the way and kept watching for him to turn broadside.

After what seemed like an eternity, the other bucks moved a bit, he came on in and turned for a perfect shot.

I'm not gonna lie, I choked. I pulled that trigger on my crossbow and all of the bucks scattered. I knew in the pit of my stomach that I had not made a decent shot, but was hoping that maybe I had somehow hit him anyway.

No such luck. It was a clean and total miss.

A couple of days later, Rick and a friend went to check camera chips and came back dragging this log that they had found my arrow sticking in. They thought they were being funny by telling me they had found my buck.

I got the last laugh when I said I wanted it mounted to always remember that hunt, and Rick graciously made me a plaque and "the biggest buck I ever saw" is now proudly displayed in my living room.

It doesn't always take a kill to make a hunt memorable and bring a smile (and a few cuss words) to your face!

4729723.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Good story. I choked last year on the biggest buck that I had ever seen on the hoof. I thought I was dreaming. The only difference is that I didn't get the shot off because the safety was on.:smiley_boos:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What an awesome story and way to be a great sport about it. That would eat at some people but it seems you've shook it off and got back in the game. Thanks again.

MandRroofing

In the woods
I feel ya on that brother!last season I shot the biggest buck I've seen so far,shot square in the shoulder with noooo penatration!I knowbhes still out there!170" bruiser...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great story Diane, thanks for sharing it. Hope you get a chance of redemption! Goodluck to you,Rick and Z this season!