Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best 3 days??

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In my tree time and trail camera time, I've seen the most activity of mature bucks Nov 5-10. Last year was a tad later. Maybe 10-12. This is NW Ohio.

Jamie

Ohio
so by consensus here, the best three days are November 3 through November 15. rotflmao I love these kind of threads. I repeat, there are no "three best days". every minute counts during the whitetail rut. knowing when to hunt is largely a matter of experience in YOUR particular hunting area, and even that is not a guarantee. hunt every possible minute you can.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
so by consensus here, the best three days are November 3 through November 15. rotflmao I love these kind of threads. I repeat, there are no "three best days". every minute counts during the whitetail rut. knowing when to hunt is largely a matter of experience in YOUR particular hunting area, and even that is not a guarantee. hunt every possible minute you can.

^^^^Yep, and it pays to be retired lmao....

Bigcountry40

It has been proven that the rut happens the same time every year on whatever property you're hunting. Weather plays a big role in how much we see.
I know I can argue with you without either 1 of us getting mad or upset. I hunt NW Ohio and Tusc County pretty heavy, last week of October, first week of November North West Ohio is hot (typically), i travel down to Tusc County a day later which is right down the road from you and the deer are typically a week away, Ohio has vastly different terrain and weather conditions can vary tremendously, to think this doesn't effect doe hormones and estrus cycles is ludicrous, malarkey, poo-poo!

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I know I can argue with you without either 1 of us getting mad or upset. I hunt NW Ohio and Tusc County pretty heavy, last week of October, first week of November North West Ohio is hot (typically), i travel down to Tusc County a day later which is right down the road from you and the deer are typically a week away, Ohio has vastly different terrain and weather conditions can vary tremendously, to think this doesn't effect doe hormones and estrus cycles is ludicrous, malarkey, poo-poo!
What is there to argue about. You just proved my point.

nis1

Yep. Actually even outside of those dates, the more times you spend in the woods, the better your chances are.

I've got to disagree with you slightly. I understand your point, but spending too much time in the woods you hunt can certainly have a negative impact on deer movement.

There are two guys that hunt the same property that my wife and myself hunt. They hunt their same two stands all weekend every weekend of the season. We don't go in until rut and have nonstop action hunting our spots where the other guys haven't hunted. They in turn think that our spots are the best because we always kill nice bucks when in reality it's because the deer have patterned those two goobers and won't go near their stands so they travel our spots to stay away from those guys.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've got to disagree with you slightly. I understand your point, but spending too much time in the woods you hunt can certainly have a negative impact on deer movement.

There are two guys that hunt the same property that my wife and myself hunt. They hunt their same two stands all weekend every weekend of the season. We don't go in until rut and have nonstop action hunting our spots where the other guys haven't hunted. They in turn think that our spots are the best because we always kill nice bucks when in reality it's because the deer have patterned those two goobers and won't go near their stands so they travel our spots to stay away from those guys.
X2, too much pressure and they gone.

Isaacorps

Columbus

Good point. Stay away as long as possible until go time, I like that. TC mentioned that to me when I posted about a spot that seems like it's perfectly located terrain-wise. Leave it alone til rut. This will be the first year I have the luxury of having a piece of ground to hunt where I can do that. Now for the other goobers hunting there...we shall see lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good point. Stay away as long as possible until go time, I like that. TC mentioned that to me when I posted about a spot that seems like it's perfectly located terrain-wise. Leave it alone til rut. This will be the first year I have the luxury of having a piece of ground to hunt where I can do that. Now for the other goobers hunting there...we shall see lol
Yep, I started hunting a lot smarter last year. Stayed out except for cold fronts during early and mid October then hit it late October. Those spots next to doe bedding areas are perfect for late October.

I prefer to have many setups. The "best" setups I stay out until the time is right. I have others that I hunt more often. Where I hunt in pa it is less of a concern as the deer here get harassed as there is a lot of non hunting human activity. I love to hunt so sitting on the couch isn't an option. Honestly I don't think human activity matters all that much when the rut is in action. They are cruising regardless.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I prefer to have many setups. The "best" setups I stay out until the time is right. I have others that I hunt more often. Where I hunt in pa it is less of a concern as the deer here get harassed as there is a lot of non hunting human activity. I love to hunt so sitting on the couch isn't an option. Honestly I don't think human activity matters all that much when the rut is in action. They are cruising regardless.
I also have spots I can hunt to scratch the itch, and are also easier to access. But I save my best farm for late October.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Let me put it this way , the 2nd to the 6th I truly expect to kill a good deer . From the 10th on I feel lucky to to see nice deer . From youth season to gun season I have seen some of the nicest deer
But unfortunately , they've either been too far , or I have been tagged out