Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beentowns Hunting Journal

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Missed last night update.

Got into the woods early (2:30ish) as I figured with the cold temps, overcast skies, and a different wind direction they should be moving. I kept a pretty good log going in the "live hunt" thread as I know how I look forward to reading them.

On the way in I kicked something up. I'm sure it was a deer but didn't see it. It was in really thick stuff so no hope of seeing it. I changed out SD cards and dumped some apples/dried molasses and corn out at the camera location before making my way around to the stand. I hadn't baited that camera in a month so camera visits were way down, still good though.

Once in the stand nothing was moving. Not even the squirrels. An hour later it was like a switch was flipped and the woods came alive. Coons, groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks and my buddy from the past few seasons even made a grand appearance...American Kestrel. Everything went absolutely silent when he busted through the canopy and smoked a squirrel. Awesome to watch. They are like fighter pilots and just fun to watch. After eating his fill he did some fly-by's of the corn field and the mourning doves were scared shitless (Kestrels usually eat other birds). Very cool.

After the entertainment died down I turned to look on the side I never expected to see anything, more to stretch than TOO look. I saw a silhouette of a deer off in some thicker stuff about 80 yards away. Hit the can call three consecutive times and the deer turned on a dime. Ended up being a 1.5 y/o 8 point that is going to be a great buck later as he already had a split brow and junk starting all over. Gotta be one of Spicoli's spawn. He worked his way around me and ended up in every one of my shooting lanes. He put his head in the corn and started eating. Just to mess with him I hit the can call two more times. Right after a doe came in. When he saw her he stuck his nose down and pushed her just a bit. They hung and browsed around for a bit. Downwind most of the time (thanks Scent Smoker).

After they both went into the corn again another buck showed up. A clean 1.5 y/o 8. He was a REALLY great deer for his age. High and tight. He walked down the corn and got the shit scared out of him by the buck in the corn. They all checked each other out for a sec and then milled around more....all down wind. Funny thing is they were all downwind of the bait I put out many times and they never even went to it. After greeting each other the newest buck dogged the doe a bit and they went off into the big woods.

The REALLY cool part was a couple minutes later I could hear the two bucks sparring. Very cool. It was hard not to shoot that doe but I don't have enough to spare. I had multiple shots on all the deer which was cool.

Deer seen: 9
Does: 6
Bucks: 3
Shot opportunities: 4
Time on stand: 14.5 hours
mornings: 2
Evenings: 3

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Awesome stuff man. Makes sitting in the stand just a little better when it is fun filled and action packed. The big boys will be along soon enough man. Just need time in the seat.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Another eventful night on stand. Was going to hunt the same stand from the other evening but when I arrived I forgot my smoker. DANG! I contemplated just hunting it but it is my only spot of having known big buck or two wandering around and I didn't wanna bugger it up. So I drove home to get the smoker. After arriving home my 5 y/o decided she wants to hunt with me so we packed all the crap up it takes to take a 5 y/o and were off. Headed to the blind John and I set up for kids. Almost there and my child decides she is sick. Turn around and head back.

Well, after all the driving I was finally arriving at the spot (decided to hunt the blind anyway). This is an urban location surrounded by houses on all sides. The farmer is using a one row picker and is making a few passes at a time but he had the majority of it down except for what was by me. At the start of magic hour a nice 115-120ish 8 point came out into the field grunting. He fed away from me past the corn where I couldn't see him. A little later he was trotting the field edge and stopped where he came out. He jumped up on his hind legs and started scent marking the branches and breaking some by biting them off. Afterward he started making the ground scrape portion...pretty cool. He then goes back out to feed. I called him back with the can call for a better look. Turned it over twice and he came on a string. If my daughter would have been with me I would have called more so he would close the distance...probably would have shot him so we could of had the experience together.

Shortly after I saw a couple of does staging in the strip of woods. Once out, they were within 58 yards. Ended up being a nanny doe and a yearling. The yearling came into 33 yards and the nanny was walking towards me. I drew as she was now within 40 yards...just waiting for her to turn. Well, the 8 point spots her, puts his nose to the ground and starts grunting and trotting towards her. Well, that put an end to it as she and her fawn ran off. He followed them into the woods.

Shortly after two 1.5 y/o bucks came out the far end of the field so I couldn't make out any characteristics. After they were in the field for a minute or so the 8 came back out and ran them off. More action was happening but by now I couldn't see anything but silhouettes.

Deer seen: 14
Does: 8
Bucks: 6
Shot opportunities: 5
Time on stand: 18.5 hours
mornings: 2
Evenings: 4

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sat down and did the schedule with my wife. We have to do a weekly/bi-weekly schedule all the time to minimize how much we have to pay "helpers". The next three weeks work is going to be slow on my end ;) (intentionally but she doesn't need to be concerned with that). I will be hunting tomorrow morning, and all day sits on Wednesday/Friday. The weekend will depend on what she wants to do. More than likely I will hunt both of those days also as the weather looks great just not all day. Probably pic one for a morning and one for the evening. Anxious to whip the monkeys ass that is on my back (not killing a buck in 4+ years) and time in the stand is the only cure I know.

Good luck to all the next couple of weeks.