Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BBD kinda....

dangerousoldman

well, sometimes I just cant believe how murphy works.... brother in law and I went down to a local farm we have been hunting all season with our smoke poles.
area was river bottom land with about a 80 acre beanfield that was picked and thena patch of woods with a long high ridge running the lenngth of the field with deep ravines in 4 places along the ridge. Brother in law went up the first hill and i went up on top to the head of one of the deep ravines. about 1200 the wind changed and was bad for me so i moved across three beanfields and started into the woods at the top of the ridge. About then i heard a shot and just stopped. about 5 minutes later brother in law called me and said he had four bucks in a group come past him and he put a shot on a nice one. Said they were side hilling down toward where i was headed. i worked my way across the top of the ridge and started slipping down the hill a bit to get a vantage point for seeing all the way to the bottom. as i was looking down the hill i saw two bucks moving across the hill about 60 yards below me in the brush on the hillside. I raised the encore and put it on the second buck ( looked like a 8 or 10 with some tall tines but not a lot of mass.) the two bucks started down into a small ravine between my hill and the next one and I lost sight of them for a couple seconds. As I was waiting for them to come up the other side about 70 yards from me, I then saw another buck that had been behind the first two. That made snese to me since brother in law said he had 4 bucks come by him and he had shot one of them. I could see part of the deer's chesk and shoulder through the brush so I put the encore on it and squeezed the trigger. First time ever only the 209 primer sent off. I broke the encore and loaded another primer then looked up to see where the buck had gone. The first two were on around the other hill by now. I thought for sure the last buck had left but eventually I made out an antler when he moved his head. he was in some brush with a big tree in front of most of him. I waited and waited, not even sure if my gun would go off. finally he stretched his neck and head out a little bit looking for me i think. I thought its now or never so i put it on his neck about 6 inches down from his ear. Boom....and he disappeared. as i was standing there looking i saw some snow kicking around and I knew he was down. I walked down to him and was pleasantly surprised to see G2's about 11 inches and real nice mass on this 8 pointer. almost palmated between some of the points and one heck of a big body. sweet. bout then I saw my brother in law coming across the hillside right toward me. I asked where he came from and he said he was trailing his buck. Sure enough the blood trail lead right to the buck i just shot. After searching the deer over I finally found a hole through the shoulder but the strange thing was, you couldnt see it but i found it with my fingers. Sure as a good shot placement and I was amazed that that deer was still walking. I know that the one who puts the deer down can claim it but I wouldnt do that to my bro in law. I think the deer was lagging behind the others due to the wound and upon backtracking found where he had laid down about 40 yards back from where I shot him. bed was full of blood. we both laffed about it and I congratulated my bro in law on such a nice buck, then helped him gut it and drag it out to the truck. overall situation was kinda unbelievable to me. I could have shot one of the first two deer that were pretty nice but when i saw the third one I took it instead of wait for the other two to come up out of the draw. all were nice bucks and I had a one in three chance of murphy not getting me but ......oh well. gonna go out tomorrow after I have some furniture delivered I hope. gotta laugh about it as a whole I guess....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow, what a hunt! Congrats to your BIL. Sounds like you have some nice bucks still roaming around. Good luck with them tomorrow!

I got skunked the last two evenings and I'm hunting over the last standing cornfield in 5 square miles! Lol Maybe the entire county! I'm mainly hunting for yotes but it'd be nice to see what bucks made it or some deerz....

I still have another tag but with the lack of deer sightings I prolly won't shoot one.

dangerousoldman

yep, we are lucky overall with our hunting situation. we have some great bucks running around on the 300 acres or so that we have exclusive permission on. I have a trail cam pic of one estimated on here to be around 175 to 180 or so that I had at 40 yards but couldnt get a good shot opportunity. I called that thread "the boss". We are located approx 10 miles south of where the Beatty buck was killed and just about 10 miles east of where the Jarmin buck was killed. only problem last couple years has been that beans have been planted for the last three years instead of corn. 4 years ago corn was in the bottom land and I have never seen so many deer or so many nice bucks during a hunting season. its all farm land for a couple thousand acres around us and the deer really stay around the large corn fields. Next year they will be planting corn along our river bottom 80 or 90 acres and above the wooded ridge. Gonna be unbelieveable again I hope. Only year we had corn in there we killed a 160 plus and a 143 that had 7 inch bases. I am blessed to have this spot. I think the 8 pt from this story would probably go in the mid to upper 130's at least. Had a broken brow and lost 4 or 5 inches. we get a lot of deer traveling thru I think from the river bottom corridor up to the higher ground all around.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good story. Stuff happens. You are a good dude for putting his deer down and allowing him to tag it. Sort of a bummer you guys didn't double, but it is a story you will laugh about for years to come!