Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bathtub replacement

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
In the process of trying to sell our house we had to change out our bathtub.
The couple looking at it told us that they would more than likely buy it if that was replaced.
About two weeks ago i startes to tear into it.
What a mess that was. I started by removing all the old tile and bathtub base. Once i removed all that i had to reolace a small piece of subfloor.
I found out that fitting a tub and levelling all up is actually not as easy as i thought. Once i had the base in i started on the plumbing before i put up the surrounds.
I replaced all the plumbing in the bathroom while i was doing this. When i got to the shower valve i used copper sweat fittings. I was taught many years ago by an old plumber to sweat everything away from the valve. So keeping that im mind i dry fitted all the fittings i needed and took them out in the garage to sweat them. I taped the threads and everything fit perfectly in place. To tie back into the supply lines i put unions in.
After i had the water lines hooked up i decided to start on the drain lines. I cut all the old out and replaced with 1 1/2 pvc. That all went well until I cut a piece of old out only to realise that it was my sump pump drain. Well naturally as soon as i cut the damn thing the pump kicked on and dumped water all over me and my sawzall. The sawzall is still out of comission.
Next was putting up the surround walls. They were a direct to stud installation and the walls are extremely close to level so that was a breeze. I did the wall with the valve and shower head in it last because I had to cut holes in the surround for everyrhing. I was a little nervous about cutting the holes in but after i did i was relieved to find they were all in the right place.
Now that the shower is installed and operational i had to start the drywall. Now i absolutely hate that shit. I put the final coat on last night and painted some tonight.
I will post pictures when it's all the way finished.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Nice work. Done little bit of that in my bathroom as well about 4 years ago

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good stuff, unlike Giles, I have a knack for plumbing.... Not a professional but can get it done.... looks good.... Hopefully the new owners will ha e years of enjoyable showers...

HillBuck

Union Co
Looks great. I'm in the process of remodeling an old farmhouse that my wife and I bought. I just started on the bathroom. too many options these days.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Plumbing was the only reason I ever heard my dad say "fuck" when I was a kid. lmao

Difficult, but rewarding chore Nathan. We are also listing our house soon and my March is booked for a bath remodel myself. Still not sure if I'm tearing out the tub or not. After reading this, I'm leaning more towards "not"! Good luck with the finish work and the sale!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I feel your pain man. I was mudding and taping tonight myself. Tore a useless closet out of the master bath years ago and never finished the room. Seriously who puts a sliding door closet in a bathroom. Do you want moldy clothes because thats how you get moldy clothes. Fucking 70s.

Still left to do.

Mud and tape tonight.
Mud tomorrow.
Paint first coat of tinted primer over red.
Skim coat of mud.
Sand joints
Primer paint sheetrock, 2nd coat over red.
Paint finished color
Lay tile
Grout tile
Paint new Baseboards and trim.
Hang new baseboards and trim.
Fill nail holes.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Silly question. Whats that gray board over the green? Why didn't you just go with one piece of drywall so that you wouldn't have to screw with finishing out that seam?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Looks good.I just finished redoing our bathrooms what a pain in the dick that was. One thing after another. I told my wife she had to paint because I can't stand painting walls.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks good.I just finished redoing our bathrooms what a pain in the dick that was. One thing after another. I told my wife she had to paint because I can't stand painting walls.
There's a reason most drywall and painters are drunks.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
The grey is the pained old drywall. I didn't change the whole piece out because I would rather do a joint than redo all of the corners.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ll hang drywall and mud the screw holes lol, I keep the joints and seams tight, but I know a guy lol. Works on stilts and does it in 1/8th of the time that I could lol....

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I’ll hang drywall and mud the screw holes lol, I keep the joints and seams tight, but I know a guy lol. Works on stilts and does it in 1/8th of the time that I could lol....
My thoughts exactly. Worth it to me to pay someone for the finish work on drywall.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My thoughts exactly. Worth it to me to pay someone for the finish work on drywall.

Taping is cheap, as long as you make everything tight. We redid my brothers family room, dining room and kitchen and it was under 200.00in the early 2000’s he was here for 3 days about an hour a day, if that.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Taping is cheap, as long as you make everything tight. We redid my brothers family room, dining room and kitchen and it was under 200.00in the early 2000’s he was here for 3 days about an hour a day, if that.
I hate finish work on drywall so $10 a board was worth it to me when I finished the basement. If it is just a few boards I will do it but will pay to have it done if it is bigger job.