Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Base Layers

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What are you guys wearing for base layers in this weather? anyone tried first lite wool base layers?

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Under Armour Cold Gear is always the first thing I throw on this time of year. I am a firm believer in UA. After those, I throw on a light fleece shirt and my Rocky fleece lined pants. Another two layers of UA on top, then my Whitewater Outdoors Sherpa Pro Series bibs and I'm ready to roll. I add a UA fleece vest if really cold and then my Rocky fleece jacket. I've added enough quality clothing that I can finally hunt cold weather without being cold!!!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I always wear UA as the base layer against my skin, then a regular long sleeve, thermal(s), then another long sleeve, then my coat. My coat has sleeves that zip off and i always bow hunt with the left arm unzipped so it's not gonna be in the way of my string.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cabelas silk baselayers, then a layer of regular thermal underwear (long-johns)... then my normal hunting pants and shirts, and bibs/jacket outerlayer. Baselayering is one department that I am really lacking in, but I don't think it has ever been a make-it or break-it item for me when it comes to hunting. I'm pretty warm-blooded.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
UA Cold Gear then a military long johns and then a pair of jeans and chamois shirt, fleece over shirt and then Cabella's gortex/thinsulate bibs and jacket, wools socks and 2K thinsulate rubber boots..... I can sit for about 5 hours in weather like this, well it was 3 degrees windchill this mornin and sat too around noon from 0630 got a little cold but not shivering lol..... Thing is I could of walked a lap around the property and been good for the remainder of the day....

Schu72

Streetsboro
Scent lok base layer, then Patagonia expedition weight thermals, next a fleece layer, and finally a cabelas MT050 coverall.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
UA cold gear then another thermal base layer. Next is boiled wool pants and either a fleece shirt our UA hoodie. Last layer was just a shell. Since I got the timberfleece 360 for Christmas I need to figure out my layering again.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
UA cold gear then another thermal base layer. Next is boiled wool pants and either a fleece shirt our UA hoodie. Last layer was just a shell. Since I got the timberfleece 360 for Christmas I need to figure out my layering again.

For days in the mid 20's to low 30's, I wear UA base layers, a UA cold gear mesh loose fit shirt, UA Hundo Fleece, UA 1/4 zip hundo camo fleece, then my outer layer UA Cumberland Jacket. Down below, I usually wear UA cold gear, a pair of thermal bottoms, and my cabelas windshear fleece pants. One pair of wool socks. I stay nice and toasty in my stand, especially if I have a beanie on my head.

CdBurner

Check out these:

ARCTIC Shield

Justin Charles merino wool

Minus 33 base layer

This stuff too. Not as good as the above but still better than UA.
http://www.ravenwear.ca/raven_wear__expedition_weight_th.htm

For socks these kick ass!
http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/

epe

Lancaster
Depends on if in a blind or stand, but always ua coldgear long underwear, and a good pair of wool socks for the base.

sent front HTC evo

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have some thin base layer which I cannot remember the brand. Came from Dick's or Gander. Medallist? or something like that. Then I wear the Rocky thermals over top of it. Can be found at Rocky Mtn Outlet or Walmart. Then I throw on my regular hunting gear. I have some pants that are killer in the cold. Fleece lined and waterproof. Just got the Cabelas windsheer Legacy Fleece for Christmas top/bottom and will probably try these the next hunt with the two layers of base. Feet are still my issue. Have some 1600gr thinsulate boots from Sportsman's Guide and really think my wetland Muck boots are warmer. Haven't figured that one out yet. Hot hands in the boots are my next step.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You could just hunt in your underwear if you get this stuff to put over it. The beat outerwear you can get. Period!!!!

http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/category.aspx?categoryID=17

I wear some Gray wolf woolens and you are spot on .....it one of those things that if you try it your hooked...Meth for deer hunters i guess...:smiley_crocodile: i will barely consider any other garments to wear unless i absolutely have too. I am looking at the minus33 stuff now...prolly gonna order some today or tomorrow to try. is your minus 33 base the light stuff and justin charles the expedition weight?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
well you have to consider that the clothes are built for you ( size, shape length etc) ...and they will last you most of your lifetime...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Good clothes are like a good bow IMO. That's why I own so much UA stuff. I'm going to take the next step in a couple of years and order some of the upper end outer wear like Grey Wolf...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
my plan this year was to really get some good camo gear. I am tired of buying cheap stuff and mix matching everything together. I went togander on sunday and got some mid weight stuff with the gander name and it seems really thin to be mid weight. I think am going to take it back.

I like the rocky stuff alot, they seem to make some really good clothes. I have some rocky stuff for Baselayers but it doesnt seem to really keep you warm.