Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baker Tree Stands...

Fletch

Supporting Member
After years of prodding I finally got my brother to try bow hunting... Even told him he could use my tree the first time out. Someone had given me a brand new Baker as he couldn't get the hang of it. So after a few trys at hugging the tree and climbing my brother got the hang of it. I figured we would go one afternoon so his first real attempt at usng it would be during the daylight. So I stayed about 75 yds up the hill while he went down to my tree. I just got settled in when I heard "CRASH".. I get down and head down to him to find him standing at the bottom of the tree, the baker is broken and twisted at the bottom. I ask him what happened??? He decided to stop around 10 ft. up for his first time. Thank God!!! Once he got where he wanted to stop he decided to STAND AS CLOSE TO THE TREE AS HE COULD, SO NOT TO FALL OFF !!! Well you know what happened once he put all 225 lbs on the inside edge... GOING DOWN.... He was fine just a a little shaken up.... In fact on the way home we stopped and bought another Baker.. He was determined... Another time he had back surgery and when he was ready to get down he stiffened up after standing all day (back then there were no seats). So he couldn't reach down to get the strap around the back of his ankles... I attached my Baker to the tree and went up under him and put the strap on.. He then took a little cane up with him to reach down and pull it up... God Bless him cause at 80 he can still climb with the TSS.. And STILL HUGGING THE TREE.. NO CLIMBING AID...

"J'" If you remember on the Baker the side supports folded and had a dimple on them that was supposed to keep them from folding when in use... Anyway mine was so worn that they were always folding back up while climbing... So I drilled them out and put a small bolt and wingnut in its place..
Also always had a carpet on the floor...

I remember one day getting up about 20 ft and the Baker came undone and ratcheted to the bottom of the tree...Now all the way down its making noise, GREAT... So after sliding down tree (at least it was an ash) getting the usual scrapes etc. I get back in and head up. Half way up I stop to look down at my feet and take a break. So I also look around and see 2 bucks coming in (from different directions). My guess is they heard the stand going down the tree and thought bucks were fighting... Probably the only bucks I ever rattled in... LOL

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

We had both of those death traps waiting to happen....rotflmao

The Baker was loud as FUGG! I would say it sounded like your neighbor using a snow shovel to clear off the foot of icy snow off his walk when climbing ANY tree.

The TSS's rubber foot straps left a LOT to be desired!

I bear hugged a few trees back in those days! :smiley_coolpeace:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ron and I used a bungie cord too wrap behind our feet to keep the dang straps on our feet when using both stands. The clanking that went on while fastening both the platform and climbing part of the Baker could rattle in some rut crazed bucks no doubt! I brought in a 1.5 year old 4 to 8 point on our farm once. It was still dark enough I couldn't count his points while he stood on the uphill side of the tree from me at 8 yards! He stood there looking at me nearly eye to eye wondering what in the hell I was as I had a death grip going on...rotflmao

The geniuses that brought the TSS into existence had a climbing belt that was pretty much like any safety belt still used today that fed thru the end loop till the appropriate loop passed through based on the size of tree you were in. This climbing devise was hell on your hands when all your weight was applied! It was like climbing the side of a cliff with a dog leash! :smiley_crocodile:

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ron and I used a bungie cord too wrap behind our feet to keep the dang straps on our feet when using both stands. The clanking that went on while fastening both the platform and climbing part of the Baker could rattle in some rut crazed bucks no doubt! I brought in a 1.5 year old 4 to 8 point on our farm once. It was still dark enough I couldn't count his points while he stood on the uphill side of the tree from me at 8 yards! He stood there looking at me nearly eye to eye wondering what in the hell I was as I had a death grip going on...rotflmao

The geniuses that brought the TSS into existence had a climbing belt that was pretty much like any safety belt still used today that fed thru the end loop till the appropriate loop passed through based on the size of tree you were in. This climbing devise was hell on your hands when all your weight was applied! It was like climbing the side of a cliff with a dog leash! :smiley_crocodile:

Rick, I never used that strap for climbing as it gave me the willies so I just bear hugged the tree up and down....
All I used that strap for was dragging deer out lol
Still have it to this day and use it for dragging lol

Fletch

Supporting Member
I say we bring one of the above mentioned stands to the summer Mingo event and let some of the young bucks attempt to climb a tree the old fashioned way... And film it while we are at it...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I say we bring one of the above mentioned stands to the summer Mingo event and let some of the young bucks attempt to climb a tree the old fashioned way... And film it while we are at it...

I'll bring my TSS and the fancy seat I bought after the first year hunting standing up lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll pass on that. I gotta say I probably would of learned after I fell the first time not to use the fuggin thing again. I've hunted out of home made stands made of 2×4 and deck boards, probably would of built me a few of those after that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'll pass on that. I gotta say I probably would of learned after I fell the first time not to use the fuggin thing again. I've hunted out of home made stands made of 2×4 and deck boards, probably would of built me a few of those after that.

Wasn't for the weak of heart that's for sure.... But that's all we had, and was pretty high tech for us lol....

Can't be a puss your whole life Non Bearded Chadwick.......

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Wasn't for the weak of heart that's for sure.... But that's all we had, and was pretty high tech for us lol....

Can't be a puss your whole life Non Bearded Chadwick.......
Ah if only I still had the raptor, I'd give you the key and tell you the same thing[emoji23]

Gordo

Athens County
Talk about sketchy! I wonder why that company isn't makeing stands anymore? Probably got sued outta business.

I remember a lot of sketchy home made jobs that where bad enough. One guy we hunted with used to stack wood pallets for stands. Those where the Cadillac stands back then in our world. Ha.

The whole industry has come along way. Options out the ass these days. Crazy

Fletch

Supporting Member
Talk about sketchy! I wonder why that company isn't makeing stands anymore? Probably got sued outta business.

I remember a lot of sketchy home made jobs that where bad enough. One guy we hunted with used to stack wood pallets for stands. Those where the Cadillac stands back then in our world. Ha.

The whole industry has come along way. Options out the ass these days. Crazy

I wouldn't say sketchy as they were technically ahead of their time and Im sure the industry is what it is today due their innovations... LIke "J" said they were pretty high tech for the period of time they were around... They may have been sued out of business if I remember correctly.. Even todays stands are dangerous if used improperly.. Why do you think they issue a safety harness with every stand today??? To cover their arse, that's why.. Falling is always a risk when hunting from a tree.. They had their faults, BUT... I would still go up a tree with one if that was the only climber around and there was a chance at a big buck... Only difference is I'd wear a harness since they are available today...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I wouldn't say sketchy as they were technically ahead of their time and Im sure the industry is what it is today due their innovations... LIke "J" said they were pretty high tech for the period of time they were around... They may have been sued out of business if I remember correctly.. Even todays stands are dangerous if used improperly.. Why do you think they issue a safety harness with every stand today??? To cover their arse, that's why.. Falling is always a risk when hunting from a tree.. They had their faults, BUT... I would still go up a tree with one if that was the only climber around and there was a chance at a big buck... Only difference is I'd wear a harness since they are available today...

Yep, exactly and lots of guys hunted outta them back then.... I screwed straps to the bottom of mine to throw over my back and lug it around....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Knew I had a pic somewhere... Here ya go...almost like a stripper working the pole.. LOL Note the old Midland walkie talkie... Boy that's going back a few years... Just think.. some of you guys were still tadpoles waiting to swim upstream... A lot of stomach muscles being used there...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Early season it was a struggle but by November you got really good at it lol.... I'd not get all my warm clothes on until I was situated up there.... then raise up the bow.... Didn't have a hanger back in the day my first year or two just hung onto the bow the whole time lol
Yeah, that got cold lol