Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bad math on my part

Lundy

Earlier today I posted the below information in the ODNR Weekly Report thread.

Well, someone:) came here and copied this information and posted it somewhere else. One of my friends saw it and showed me the error of my math.

I calculated the deer killed on the tags above 3 from zero not from 3. We have to assume that all of the hunters killing 4, 5, or 6 deer would already be killing 3. Soooooooooooooo, the real increase would be for deer killed above 3 for those hunters not zero as I did.

The real number of deer killed above 3 (deer 4, 5 and 6) with the extra tags is 6,028

SORRY for the misleading information.

This chart shows that 157,726 hunters killed a deer last year. It then breaks down the numbers of those 157,726 that killed more than one deer. The chart also at the bottom says deer killed. To me that was a little misleading because you have to multiply the number of hunters in each catagory by the deer taken to end up with a total number of deer killed.

So all of this time I thought that the extra tags beyond 3 had little impact on the harvest totals. I may have to change my opinion.

114, 789 killed 1 deer..........114,789
30,147 killed 2 deer...............60,294
8,581 killed 3 deer.................25,743
2,850 killed 4 deer.................11,400
899 killed 5 deer ....................4,495
460 killed 6 deer.....................2,760

So all deer killed above 2 per hunter accounts for 20% of the overall harvest or 44,398 deer.

All deer killed above 3 per hunter accounts for 8% of the overall harvest or 18,655 deer. I don't find this number insignific

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No big deal. We are all human and make mistakes. Just makes me scratch my head. Someone copied/pasted your post from TOO to another website? Seems a bit unoriginal. Where the heck did your post end up Lundy?

Lundy

It ended up on a site that I helped start and was part owner of until a couple of years ago. Most know which one that is.

I am happy my buddy saw the error and pointed it out to me. I wish you guys would have found it first however:)