Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Athens Bows

Francis

Geauga
I'm currently rocking the Halon and Impulse 34 right now, but I've been thinking with going with a smaller company that doesn't have as many people shooting them like these main bows. I was wondering if anyone was shooting the Ace and had some feedback and some pictures, liked to look at some setups.

cooperve

coshocton
Athens makes a great bow, very smooth, and the customer service is one of the best. l have two Exceed’s and really like them. One for hunting and one for practice/target.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
They don't hold their value and your resale market is very small. As long as you know it going in then go gettum

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just out of curiosity, why does it matter to you how many people shoot a particular bow? Is it not all about which bow feels good to you and you shoot well? Is it not cool to own one of "the main bows?" I'm honestly just curious. I don't shoot a very common bow either but it had nothing to do with who shot what.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just out of curiosity, why does it matter to you how many people shoot a particular bow? Is it not all about which bow feels good to you and you shoot well? Is it not cool to own one of "the main bows?" I'm honestly just curious. I don't shoot a very common bow either but it had nothing to do with who shot what.
Word to your mother...

I made fun of the "Mathews Country Club" before I bought one. Here I am still shooting it 9 years later cause nothing else feels as good...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Word to your mother...

I made fun of the "Mathews Country Club" before I bought one. Here I am still shooting it 9 years later cause nothing else feels as good...
Been shooting mine for 4 years now. Mostly because I don't have 1k to spend on another one and they don't make many bows that fit my big ass lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've had $1K ear marked for a bow for a long time now. Every year I shoot a few and every year I go back. Today I added a LD Pro-V and it got even better!

uploadfromtaptalk1463864468528.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I went back to Hoyt because I shoot them really good and if you haven't picked up a carbon bow than your missing out

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I went back to Hoyt also. PRIME's were great but I like the feel of the Hoyt better and you can manipulate them for tuning. The PRIME was almost boring. Both accurate and fast. Just liked the Hoyt better.

Francis

Geauga
I personally don't have anything against any bows, I think they're all good shooting bows. I'm going to be keeping my Mathews.I guess some bad wording, I was just looking at some bow companies that are underrated that not many people talk about or recognize. Just kind of wanted to try something different since I've had all the main bows that make the headlines. I've never heard much about Athens, but the few people that I've heard shoot them all enjoyed them. Had trouble finding my pictures of people setups. My buddy is gonna call and have em send one to the shop to try out so I guess I'll see that way how it feels and stuff first.

These are the ones I have now.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So my question becomes this: Do you even know what you want from a bow? If you've had "them all", you obviously suffer from the "gotta have what's new" disease. Sounds to me like you need to narrow down a list of what matters to you from a shootability standpoint and brand be dammed.

Francis

Geauga
My biggest gripe I have is just find the bow with a grip I like. I usually wrap em with grip tape. I feel like most of them now feel smooth to me and good at the shot, unless its like a turbo I could never shoot one, don't like shooting something that I feel like is going to jump out of my hands

Francis

Geauga
Lol. Bows are one of the few things I do that with, but this is the only thing I do with my life other than work and I'm not married or no kids so why not! lol. I had an old mathews for a few years, but since I help out a bow shop, I get hooked up with some stuff. It's not bad when you sell em after one year don't lose too much.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Looks like you already have a couple of Athens bows..they just paint them different.

Francis

Geauga
They don't hold their value and your resale market is very small. As long as you know it going in then go gettum

That's a valid point, haven't thought about that.

I do really like the carbon bow, just don't want to spend the extra money for it and I'm not a fan of the look of the defiant and the new pocket system on the hoyts this year.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Don't buy "this years bow"... Problem solved... I'm a giver like that. :smiley_crocodile: I bought a 2012 and I'm happy as heck with it. I will have it at least 2 monthsrotflmao

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I've got a good buddy that works at Athens bows. Depending where you are in Ohio, just make a road trip over and see their setup and shoot a few. My buddy Jason dips all their bows and shoots on their competition staff. Its about a 3-3.5 drive from Central Ohio. They are just west of Ft. Wayne in "Athens", IN. Its not even a town really and they run the business out of a pole barn style building.... Great people though!