Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Article: Deer Vehicle accidents the past 8 years.. Shocking

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have always liked a blanket backed Walker dog. What is his breeding? I haven't had coon dogs since I had to put my Grand Nite female down. She qualified for the World hunt two years in a row, but I never hunted her in it. I had a litter of pups out of her and Southern Pride that produced some big mouthed, hard tree dogs. When the kids started coming I gave away her son to my cousin down in Morrow county and he used him to train pups.

He's right out of the wipeout Willie dog

oakswamper

around Toledo
I'm just a lurker so don't flame me too much, I own 58 acres in western Lucas. The property that surrounds mine has all been bought up by the metro parks and they have been trying to buy mine for years. It's a joke whats going on around here, I've actually called the sherrif on the park rangers for being on my property and they kicked them off. They make this an urban county and try to buy up all the property where most of the deer are in the county and don't open it up to hunting.

Ok back to lurking

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm just a lurker so don't flame me too much, I own 58 acres in western Lucas. The property that surrounds mine has all been bought up by the metro parks and they have been trying to buy mine for years. It's a joke whats going on around here, I've actually called the sherrif on the park rangers for being on my property and they kicked them off. They make this an urban county and try to buy up all the property where most of the deer are in the county and don't open it up to hunting.

Ok back to lurking

Nobodies going to flame you buddy. We do get spirited in these threads but we're all friends here. 99% of the rest of the site is more friendly as you have seen.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Farmer surveys.

For 10 years the kill went up and at the same time, total population went down? If your objective was to shut me up, you've succeeded.:smiley_confused_vra

I had no idea you would go quiet so easily...

BTW, in 1995 we had a two week shotgun season. Just so we are not comaparing apples and oranges again, I thought it would be interesting to look at what we killed in the first of the two weeks. This way, we can sort of compare what we killed this season with 95. This year's shotgun harvest was 90,282 In 1995s first week of shotgun season, 115,063. Is it still difficult to imagine we had MORE deer in 1995 than we do today? We have far more tags available, yet tag 25,000 less deer per week of shotgun hunting? Go figure.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should add that in 95 we weren't allowed to hunt on Sunday. That means a "week" of shotgun season was only 6 days, and only one weekend day. Really puts it in perspective when you compare apples to apples.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree FS. They say numbers don't lie. Seems my memory may have been correct...I really did see a LOT more deer in the mid 90's!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Me too! The farm I took my first OBB in '95 I remember taking a video camera out in early Sept. getting footage of 3 different deer groups totaling 18 from my position next to a round bale on the highest point in a hayfield. The farm was 90 acres and in SE Ohio and before the farm next door started filling 30 plus kill permits on average over the next decade. Nowadays you just don't see much in that area and have since moved on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I may have to move on too! If I were really serious about this deer hunting thing, I'd start looking for land inside of large metro areas to hunt, or travel to Athens County. I have it from reliable sources there are still deer in Athens. Heck, I went to school at Hocking and am familiar with some areas that were pretty good back in the day. I bet they still have deer. I've really just been trying to put that off though because driving 100 miles to deer hunt every day isn't all that appealing, and wasn't something I had to do for years. Really is a shame to have all this land to hunt with few deer on it.

Maybe we should start our own deer camp right next to Coon's. :)

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
This doesn't prove anything but I drove from Sunbury to outside of Warsaw yesterday between 7:30 and 9 am. It takes about an 1:15 to get there. I drove home between 3:30 and 5pm. I saw three deer total. Plenty of turkeys but THREE deer. I have never seen that few...ever. I have been driving that same stretch since 1996. Emperical evidence but telling just the same I believe. I have slowly seen our farm (350 acres plus another 200) go from a Mecca out there to what I used to see in Morrow County. Morrow is now almost absent of deer all together now....compartively speaking. That is saying something if you know the areas at all.

Sorry about the minor derail but I thought it touched on the same subject.....deer numbers.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Point made, Been. There are very few, and I think the difference in harvest from 95 to now shows the point exactly....If you have ten deer....oh heck, you know the rest of it. :)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Point made, Been. There are very few, and I think the difference in harvest from 95 to now shows the point exactly....If you have ten deer....oh heck, you know the rest of it. :)

The most recent QDMA magazine has an article titled, "Fawn Recruitment on the Decline." They gathered data from state agencies across the county from 2000 through 2010 and summed everything up for the article. Ohio obviously calculates this data, as it was shared with QDMA for the article. Even though Ohio is still in the top 5 states for fawn recruitment in 2010, there is a drop from 1.00 in 2000 to 0.81 in 2010. Almost a 20% drop over 10 years. The Midwest average stands at 0.82 (IL, KS, IA, MI, OH, SD, WI) Michigan being the lowest at 0.39 and Iowa being the highest at 1.30. Just found this to be another interesting data point that continues to suggest the state has had a declining deer population over the past decade or longer. Yet the ODNR has continued to increase the estimate population? :smiley_chinrub:

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
im with beener on this, and everyone else the numbers arent what they were, we do need to do something about it, i do most of my hunting in knox county but, i live just 3 miles or so from morrow county if you drive threw the country out there you would think there would be deer all over the place it just looks good but there not around, i didnt hunt in morrow county at all this season after not seeing anything there last year. everyone likes seeing big bucks but i also like seeing deer in general ,and thats something that was very rare this season, when you sit in the best spot you have and dont see a deer during opening day of gun season when you usually see 40 or 50 you know something is wrong.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The most recent QDMA magazine has an article titled, "Fawn Recruitment on the Decline." They gathered data from state agencies across the county from 2000 through 2010 and summed everything up for the article. Ohio obviously calculates this data, as it was shared with QDMA for the article. Even though Ohio is still in the top 5 states for fawn recruitment in 2010, there is a drop from 1.00 in 2000 to 0.81 in 2010. Almost a 20% drop over 10 years. The Midwest average stands at 0.82 (IL, KS, IA, MI, OH, SD, WI) Michigan being the lowest at 0.39 and Iowa being the highest at 1.30. Just found this to be another interesting data point that continues to suggest the state has had a declining deer population over the past decade or longer. Yet the ODNR has continued to increase the estimate population? :smiley_chinrub:

Interesting. Of course you would think they would know what factors to use if they wanted an accurate estimate. I really dont think they invest much time into worrying about what is left after season. I didn't just pull that out of my hat, I got that impression from my conversations with Tonk. He didn't believe the herd was declining because the harvest numbers had not significantily dropped... As if he hadn't factored in the extra seasons as a reason for stable and growing harvest stats. The only reason I havent been screaming that from the rooftops is I refuse to believe he is so dumb not to factor that in the equation. I would like to know how are population made that 200k jump over a couple of years, and we haven't been able to kill it back in spite of our best efforts. I personally can't help kill 'em back seemingly because all the deer that used to live here are now in Athens....probably due to Athens having so many acorn bearing oak trees.