Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Appendix Carry and Belly Bands

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The XDS has both a trigger safety and a backstrap safety. A sequence that requires both of them to be depressed for the weapon to operate. The combination of them both acts IMO as a safety as you pretty much have to have the gun in your grip to trip both. Trigger safetys are worthless IMO and should not count as a safety. A backstrap safety, while a passive safety, is IMO on par with a manual thumb safety in that it requires an action to deactivate it. The XDS is also technicslly a SA action not DAO. So technically it can only go as low as condition 2.

The 642 is considered DAO but has something like a 9 lb trigger. Technically you could consider the pistol condition zero but unlike the glock that is DAO where the striker is half cooked and doesn't require nearly the pull or cylinder rotation the revolver does. There is a reason the isralies and others carry without one in the chamber and it's simply the safest method for that gun since it doesn't have a safety. And believe it or not with training they have found its damn near just as fast to deploy.

I can't speak for the Kahr

I'm not saying the glock can't be carried safely. But the shear definition of condition zero meaning no safety means exactly that, it's "not safe". If other things are put in place to make it safeer, such as a level 2 or more holster then it's not really condition 0. Anything that adds a safety means it is no longer being carried in condition 0 or no safety engaged manner.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll grant you the 642. You need to be able to open a jar of sauerkraut for your wife in order to be able to squeeze the trigger. (I say sauerkraut only because that seems to be the jar my wife struggles with the most.) I think you are being kind saying it is only 9lb. lol

Backstrap safety? Eh. You think a doofous pushing his pistol into a junk holster while sitting down isn't applying pressure to this safety while doing so? That still comes down to the user. I have taught my kids since the first time they have held a firearm to keep their finger off the trigger until ready to fire. If they can't reach the end of the trigger guard they are to place it along the stock above the trigger or along the bottom of the trigger guard. It simply comes down to training, common sense, and repetition. I am very conscious each time I holster or draw. Plenty of places I cannot carry so this is easy to practice.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea, I guess I just really don't see the issue here regarding Glocks or any other gun without an external safety. Keep the trigger clear and it won't go bang. Doesn't matter if it's a finger or a wrinkle in the holster... If that rule isn't followed, it's the person's fault, not the gun's.

Wmiller07

I'd say there are many foolish, irresponsible, and negligent CCW holders out there. I'd hardly consider myself a Glock "fanboy". My XDS has no manual safety, nor did the Kahr I had, nor does the 642. I think we will just have to disagree here. I do agree there are many who should NOT carry this way. Then again, I believe there are many who should never carry.

How do you like your XDS? I'm thinking about picking one up.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
LOL This is a different kind of aggressive, might as well be shark teeth. It was rough on my hands going through an 8 hour tactical pistol course. I added some grip covers and it helped, but they never seem to last too long.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How do you like your XDS? I'm thinking about picking one up.

This thread is turning into a major "catch all" thread. lol

Grip is aggressive. I have the 45 with short barrel. I like to put a couple hundred rounds thru a carry piece before I carry it. I did so and I used every different brand/type of round I could feed into it. In a single magazine I might have used hollow points, target rounds, critical defense rounds. . . All mixed into the magazines in different orders. It did not fail to feed or fire anything I threw at it. It was also surprisingly accurate. The only thing I wold recommend is do NOT try to fire 200rds in one shot. You will feel it in your hand the next day. It is pretty snappy. Overall, for a carry piece I would recommend it. I do have the extended magazine on mine as well. I think it helped when griping and of course the additional couple rounds while carrying is a plus.

Wmiller07

Haha it seemed to be getting a little heated so I thought my question might help. Thanks for the response. Springfield has a deal now where if you buy a handgun you get four free mags, holster, and mag pouch. Pretty good deal

Wmiller07

There aren't any close to me that have a range anymore, otherwise I would. I will definitely go and at least hold it to get a feel for it. I held the Walther PPS last week and it felt good but the trigger sucked. It literally felt like a nerf gun trigger.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
LOL This is a different kind of aggressive, might as well be shark teeth. It was rough on my hands going through an 8 hour tactical pistol course. I added some grip covers and it helped, but they never seem to last too long.

Doing too man dishes??? I heard Palmolive does that.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Haha it seemed to be getting a little heated so I thought my question might help. Thanks for the response. Springfield has a deal now where if you buy a handgun you get four free mags, holster, and mag pouch. Pretty good deal
Hi. I'm jackalope. I don't believe half the shit I say I just say it spur discussion.

I carry a Kimber Micro 380 cocked and locked in condition 1 in a leather Bianchi OWB level 1 retention holster.

Wmiller07

Hi. I'm jackalope. I don't believe half the shit I say I just say it spur discussion.

I carry a Kimber Micro 380 cocked and locked in condition 1 in a leather Bianchi OWB level 1 retention holster.

Fair enough, you ever think about running for office? They don't believe half the shit they say either :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lol. True. In all honesty though, I still dont like Glocks. Personal preference. They look like a high points slightly less ugly sister but she was available and horny so what the heck. The mag release is tiny and hard to manipulate. And the manual safeties they do have are jagged pot metal tiny pieces of pain in the ass.