Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Appendix Carry and Belly Bands

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought a CrossBreed Minituck for my Taurus PT709 Slim. I got it in a left hand model so that I could wear it in the small of my back and the pistol presented at an angle that is comfortable to me. I really like the holster and it carries well with winter clothing. However I can tell that come summer time, I'm going to want to carry differently when wearing jeans and a t-shirt. My buddy had a belly band the other day for his Springfield and I really liked the looks of it. I especially liked that he was able to carry a spare magazine, which I cannot do without adding yet another accessory to my belt. My gun fits very nicely in an appendix carry position, so I've been eyeballing CrossBreeds Appendix carry holster and their Belly Band.

Curious how many guys are using a belly band and/or carrying appendix style? I think the CB Belly Band gives me the best of all worlds in that I can adjust the presentation of the firearm, carry a spare mag AND suck my gut in a little... lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't care for the appendix carry I have for my XDS45. Other guys I talk to love the appendix carry. Like anything, personal preference thing I suppose.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not much help here. Appendix carry doesn't sound appealing to me. I've been carrying at the 430-500 position with an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB and it conceals really nicely. The only time I have trouble with printing is when I bend over or something, and even then it's not too bad. I know guns don't shoot themselves, but there's just something about the thought of a gun pointing toward my junk that gives me the willies. Appendix carry...no thanks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Personall I think we try to hard to hide our carry pieces. Outside a dry for shirt most people wouldn't know what it is under your shirt. And even if they do fuck em. . I carry for my comfort. If my shirt rides up, prints, or the holster shows a little I'm beyond caring. Tired of sacrificing comfort so some left wing yuppy soccer mom doesn't get her panties in a bunch.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My issue is I wear Under Armour cotton tees almost exclusively in the summer and it's obvious I have a gun on me when I wear one. In shorts, it's not an issue because I carry in my cargo pocket.

My other alternative is an ankle holster, which I've contemplated for a while. I wear boot cut jeans over Ariat slip on boots, so an ankle holster is a nice fit. However I don't like added weight on one leg. Feels awkward.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My issue is I wear Under Armour cotton tees almost exclusively in the summer and it's obvious I have a gun on me when I wear one. In shorts, it's not an issue because I carry in my cargo pocket.

My other alternative is an ankle holster, which I've contemplated for a while. I wear boot cut jeans over Ariat slip on boots, so an ankle holster is a nice fit. However I don't like added weight on one leg. Feels awkward.

Quit caring if it's obvious. Problem solved. Lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
HA. That's one solution... that ain't happening!

I used to fret about printing and tried a many holster to keep it positively concealed. Then one day it just hit me. Why do I give a damn? I'm not the one with an issue. Why am I going out of my way, spending all this money, wearing uncomfortable holsters all so some yahoo doesn't get sand in their clit on the off chance they put 2+2 together. Fugg em. To be honest I've never had an issue. Nobody has even said anything. Even when wearing outside the waist band and taking my jacket off in a restaurant, nada. My carry experience is A thousand times better once I stopped worrying about printing and hiding it it at all cost. I still try to keep it concealed, but if it's obvious it's obvious. They'll get over it.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im fat so printing is always going to be an issue. I really don't give a shit as I open carry most of the time anyways b/c I tuck shirts in for work. I cant appendix carry, my gut wont allow it. Not sure I would anyway. Look into the snag mag for a spare mag. I have one and love it. http://www.snagmag.com/
I would think that carrying in a cargo pocket might create some issues in the need to draw quickly. Haven't tried it so I don't really know.

Jamie

Ohio
Like Joe, I'm pretty much to the point where I don't give a shit anymore if I'm printing some. most people are so oblivious they wouldn't know what they are looking at anyway unless they are packin' too. I don't typically appendix carry, but when I do (mostly in summer, and sometimes when hunting), I carry my G27 with a MIC holster. it does require attaching a belt clip to the slide, which is no big deal. is inexpensive, and works well for summertime carry with shorts and t-shirts. they make these for most all the popular carry guns. I like it for appendix carry.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My favorite way to carry my revolver is in my right pocket with a Blackhawk neoprene pocket holster. I can carry my Shield the same way with the same holster.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not one to worry about quick drawing my weapon only because I'm willing to concede to comfort first. I'm very observant and don't really see myself getting caught off guard, although it could happen. If/When I'd have to draw, I tend to think it's in a situation I saw coming or where I'd be hidden and could draw at my leisure. That said, appendix carry appeals to me over the ankle holster due to speed. My gun has a manual safety, so I don't worry about shooting myself, especially inside a quality holster. And I don't play Quick Draw McGraw games, so doing it while reholstering is not a fear either.

Maybe I just need to not worry about the printing and carry where I'm most comfortable. I'm just trying to avoid any confrontations where I'd be tempted to pistol whip a fool... lmao

I think people through an evolution of how they carry. I have gotten to the point that I don't care if it prints as long as it its comfortable. The climite here is such that all but 2 months out of the year I wear a flannel shirt or a second layer if not a jacket as well. During the summer I carry in a shoulder holster with a 45 degree downward cant. I cant stand wearing half pants. Lol

Last edited:
To Jesse:
I can understand the 'don't give a fuck' idea of carrying and not caring if people can see the imprint or even the actual gun itself....after all it's your right to carry. JMHO though with you raising a daughter and soon she will be going to school it may be best to keep it as concealed as possible. Fact is there are people out there who are absolutely paranoid about guns and even more so when their children are involved. Just food for thought anyways as it may affect your family, especially when they don't know you very well. Sure one day they may realize that you are carrying buy by then perhaps they know you are a responsible person and not a nut job who's going to murder them. One other thing that comes to mind, many employers don't allow carry while working and have the same reaction of being paranoid. Do you think carrying and not worrying about imprinting could affect you in your search for employment?

To the group:
I know many are saying who gives a fuck if they see it but do any of you have concerns of being a target because of your carry weapon?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
To Jesse:
I can understand the 'don't give a fuck' idea of carrying and not caring if people can see the imprint or even the actual gun itself....after all it's your right to carry. JMHO though with you raising a daughter and soon she will be going to school it may be best to keep it as concealed as possible. Fact is there are people out there who are absolutely paranoid about guns and even more so when their children are involved. Just food for thought anyways as it may affect your family, especially when they don't know you very well. Sure one day they may realize that you are carrying buy by then perhaps they know you are a responsible person and not a nut job who's going to murder them. One other thing that comes to mind, many employers don't allow carry while working and have the same reaction of being paranoid. Do you think carrying and not worrying about imprinting could affect you in your search for employment?

To the group:
I know many are saying who gives a fuck if they see it but do any of you have concerns of being a target because of your carry weapon?
I don't worry about being a target Chuck. I am not walking the streets open carrying an AR. I am not broadcasting a message to the local community. Just saying, if I bend over at the grocery store to pick something off the bottom shelf. . . .I don't care if the lady behind me sees a gun imprint. Either she is clueless to what it is, or she knows. Doesn't matter to me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
To Jesse:

To the group:

As for the employment issue, I am not carrying to job interviews, so I don't see it costing me an opportunity. If I get a job where it is prohibited, of course I'll be discrete. I'm not an idiot. Same goes for being around people who may cause trouble as it relates to my kid. I'm fortunate to live in an area where 95% of the people are pro-gun. I'm not always going to have a "don't give a fuck" mentality. I'll use discretion when it's warranted and I trust myself to recognize those situations. However there will be days when the "no fucks given" approach is perfectly acceptable.

Huckleberry Finn

What pockets fit a Shield?

What ArcherTL said. It's a progression. Used to care, now I don't as much in most scenarios. If it's in a tight holster, doesn't matter if it prints occasionally or if it's a quick trip, open carry. I see iwb rigs and owb sticking out all the time and no one else notices.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
To Jesse:

To the group:
I know many are saying who gives a fuck if they see it but do any of you have concerns of being a target because of your carry weapon?[/
QUOTE]

Every since I got back from Iraq and out of the Military, I have found myself to be super aware of my surroundings and people in it. I wish people would understand that if Im open carrying, Im the least likely person to mug or rob you. I obviously have nothing to hide. You might be better off being around me as I open carry b/c of the level of training I have acquired. Not just through the Military, but as a civilian taking Tactical Pistol courses throughout the year.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What pockets fit a Shield?

Basically the same imprint. Shield shown with extended mag. I wear a lot of loose fitting jeans.