Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anti-Hunter

BowCrazed

I'd let it go. My question to you is this, did you ask for permission face to face at any time? Not too familiar with anyone ever sending a request in the mail without some sort of personal contact.

I send a packet of information with a short bio, contact information, a letter of request, land plots, state laws protecting landowners, and the liability release forms to a landowner prior to making personal contact. After they receive the packet, I make personal contact. It helps me establish a time most convenient to the landowner to discuss the opportunity and build on the initial impression made the packet. It seems to work better than just showing up and knocking on their door and maybe catching them at a bad time. What method have you found to be effective? I am always open to ideas.

I will be honest, I haven't asked for permission much over the years. After years of reading people's advice on forums, etc. this was the first time I've seen someone send out a packet in the mail before contacting them directly. The most popular method I've seen others say worked was some sort of resume, maybe like what you put together, and stopping by to make that personal connection. If timing was bad they would leave the information behind and then follow up with a phone call.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Learn from it and move on. Like most of the suggestions I would contact in person and leave your written background. I guess if you contact at the property and no one is there just leave the written info and come back later in person.
I lost the hunting property across the road to a new owner said they like to watch and feed the wildlife. I told them I understand that but if they tired of the deer eating their new expensive landscaping just let me know.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Chuck is right. You really should ask in person. NOBODY is going to want to spend the time messing with a faceless stranger.

I will have to agree. If I got a request in the mail, I'd send some coupons and junk mail in return. You need to get personal with landowners. Find his dog running loose~~Return it. See his trash can in the road (Or fake it)~~Take it up to the house. Take him some Sweet Corn~~Say you just had too much. Offer to weed eat....Mow......Bail Hay.... Ect Ect. People don't generally do things like this so it stands out oh so much. Good Luck!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now myself I would be impressed if a got a well done info packet in the mail but then I'm a sportsman that hunts. I can see where a waco that thinks God's creatures shouldn't be killed while eating his hamburger would get ticked off. That same waco would probably just say go away if you appeared in person.
In the last 30 yrs. I've only had to ask for permission from people that already knew me. The crop damage permits I did years ago was a referral from the local GW to the farmer so there the door was open before I got there. Now that farmer was a true certified waco but he enjoyed free deer meat.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
There is no silver bullet, but I've found a higher success rate knocking on doors rather than sending a mailing. The only exception that I mail is if the landowner is out of town / state. Otherwise I go visit, leave info if they're not home, then follow up with a call.