Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ammo or fireing pin issue?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
A friend brought over his new M&P shield-9 mm

The only shells he had were Remington "range" JHP so there is nothing to compare to.

My issue is the primers. I looks as if the fireing pin is still seated in the base of the shell as it's being ejected.
You can see the "ripple effect" in the pictures. He will be trying other ammo makers but my concern was if the fireing pin was the problem.

Any one see this before or have some ideas?

IMG_3960.jpg. IMG_3962.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Disassemble and make sure nothings in the pin area and spring... inspect for burs in the firing pin hole...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Either that pin is to long or the factory lube isn't slick enough to allow the pin to return fast enough to get out of the way before it's ejected. I would break it down and wipe everything down and check for debris. Lube everything really good and try it again.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I didn't see it until now since I haven't been on much.

This is normal with the Shield. A deep, kinda misshaped compared to others, firing pin strike is the norm. Bet they had "light strike" issues with testing and solved it by going overboard with firing pin length.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have never heard complaints directly from a shield owner but S&W did have a large rebate offer for several months last spring(?) which might indicate off and on problems that did not warrant a huge recall.
I have also noticed S&W recalling T/C high power rifles, supposedly all 4 models. Could very well be poor workmanship, like Marlins made by Remington. Ruger has a big recall on the latest 22 aut
It seems like the gun companies built new factories in other states and hired new employees lacking skills.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My taurus mil pro 45 gouges the shit out of primers. Some of them have a huge gouge from center hole to the edge of the primer. Shit goes bang every time and thats all i care about.