Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

AM hunt versus PM hunt

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I was thinking about this in my stand this morning. what are the pros and cons of a morning sit and a evening sit? You have a preference? I'm getting ready to go to my PM sit, I'll toss out my thought when I get home.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I think the odds of killing deer aren't much different IMO. With a morning sit you can usually stay in longer if you don't have much going on that day. Evening sit seems like I'm always in a rush to get there and then all the action happens the last 10 minutes of the sit.

I still prefer evenings though, just my thoughts.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Evening sits are always more climatic to me. In the morning, it feels like the best time to kill one is right after sun-up and boredom starts to settle in shortly after. That is always my perception even though I know it isn't accurate. I always tell myself to hang in there on morning sits, because I have never killed a deer at first light...it is always when I am about to fall asleep and bored! I think I have killed more good deer in the morning and I enjoy the fact that I can usually stay until I am thoroughly tired of sitting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
During the early season(first 3 weeks) my morning sits are just a product of me wanting to just get out and sit in a tree and observe wildlife and relieve stress. We've all been itching all summer for season to start and are wound for sound. Unless I have a shooter patterned with daytime pics which rarely happened over the years, my hunts in the morning are just itch scratchers. I don't typically hunt a lot in the morning during the early season because my sets are close to food sources and I don't want to make the deer aware of my presence. That will change come the last week in October when the buck patterns switch to the seeking stage and my morning hunts become more meaniful and active.

Evening hunts during the early season is what I hang my hat on. Like Brock mentioned earlier though, most activity happens right at sundown when I have about 20 minutes of shooting light left. When the last weekend of October arrives is when my morning sits last longer and my evening hunts start earlier and when the rut is on I'm there all day from dark till dark.

I would much rather kill a buck in the morning just for having plenty of light for tracking,dragging and celebrating, but it doesn't always happen like that for me. Lol

Last edited:

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I like morning sits because of being in the woods and watching mother nature wake up, as far as deer go its up in the air as FS said, I think its more of just wanting to get in the woods until the seeking phase kicks in, Evening hunts are more productive for me during the entire season, but once we get to the chase phase I see alot of bucks during midday.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
AM sit. Pros...
Daylight for traking
Morning themals make the air "rise" taking scent with it.
Its cool watching the woods come alive.

Cons...
I get up at 2:30 to go to work. Sometimes I'd just like to sleep in
Trying to be quiet and get set up in the dark sucks.

PM sit. Pros...
You can get in when ever you like plenty of time to get settled in.
Seems like there is more activity

Cons...
Tracking in the dark.
I hate getting packed up in the dark.
You just know they are standing close by watching you get down. The element of suprise is gone from that spot.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
I dont get too many evening hunts so I have to make due with mornings.. I get off work at 0600 and head straight to the farm and spray down and climb in a tree.. usually have about 45min before shooting light, untill the time changes that is then im pushing it..

I do tend to see more activity during the few evenings that i get early season but come rut I have had great success.. I killed my biggest buck to date in the morning..

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My hunting is limited strictly to weekends and what vacation I can afford to take. I don't get home from work till after dark. I try to make the most of what time I do have, but there are things that need done around here and I cant just sit in the woods during all my free time. Sometimes i have to choose weather I want to sit in the morning and do chores later, or get the stuff done and get out afterwards.

To some extent, I'm partial to a morning hunt. I have sets that are in place on field edges for the evenings that typically don't do well in the morning, but I have a few places that I can set up the climber and catch them on their way back to bed. Sneaking in is tough if you haven't taken the time to clear a trail, and mark it, as I found out yesterday. watching the woods wake up is cool, and having daylight to track by and field dress is definately a plus. I killed my first deer at 9:00 am.

I guess my biggest thing with a PM sit is that feeling that as you climb down, there are eyes on you. The deer are getting up and about, and are probably watching you. That spot is now compromised in my opinion. But thats the beauty of a climber, you can always move thirty yards down the trail next time.

Huckleberry Finn

I like morning hunts, but I really hate getting out of bed early! I guess I would say that I prefer evening hunts. As others have said, evening hunts are more climatic, but nothing beats a good sunrise!