Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

All Done....

matt hougan

Dayton area
Had two deer in coolers for several days. Had the day off today and figured I'd better get them butchered before I lose them all togther. I love seeing all those neatly wrapped white packages in the freezer.

I am not sure it will make any difference but I had these deer quartered in coolers for right about 2 weeks. I checked them regularly for ice. While butchering the tender loins I was amazed at how tender they semed to be. I also wrapped each package with enough freezer paper to wrap the meat twice. Then I placed the packages in several 2 gallon zip lock freezer bags. Each one labeled and dated.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That's a real good feeling when they're all done and the mess is cleaned up! Hassle vs Rewards......Sorta makes it taste a lil' better when you do it your self.

Lundy

I am no expert on deer processing but have read from many professional deer processing sources that because there is little to no fat content in venison that unlike beef aging for deer does nothing for the quality of the finished product.

Does anyone know for sure?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am no expert on deer processing but have read from many professional deer processing sources that because there is little to no fat content in venison that unlike beef aging for deer does nothing for the quality of the finished product.

Does anyone know for sure?

I've read the same thing, Lundy. And I've tried it both ways... IMO, aged deer tastes no better than deer butchered immediately. I pretty much always butcher mine the same day I shoot them or the next day. They skin a whole lot easier if it's done the same day.

Nevertheless, it's good to see you've got the boys involved and helping you out, Matt. Way to pass on ALL facets of the outdoors tradition!

Nice Job!! The two deer my daughter and I shot took me 8 days to get cut up, ground and frozen. Worked on them a little each night after work during the week and a couple longer days and they were done. Nothing like pulling out a pack of steaks or burger and knowing it's well trimmed and ready to go the moment it's thawed. One thing that made my life easier....vacuum sealer!! That was the cat's ass!