Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ajupsman's 2014 Ohio Trip

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Did some more scouting this morning and hung all 4 of our stands. Hunted one area down in a creek bottom this afternoon. Saw one 6 point and that was it. We are going back there in the morning but neither of us really loved this spot so if we see nothing we'll probably pull the stands. We've got another couple of stands ready to go on a ridge top nearby so we may be in there tomorrow afternoon. 4th year here and it never fails to amaze me how tough this public land hunting can be.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
It's not too bad as far as other hunters go. I've yet to see anybody in the woods and no parking spot has had more than one truck in it.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
No deer sightings today between the 2 of us. Sat until 9:30am in the same ravine as yesterday and then we pulled our stands out of there. Neither of us liked it much. Went and did some scouting mid-day in a new area. Liked what I saw. Good sign and tons of acorns. We may hang a couple stands there tomorrow mid-day. This afternoon we sat on the ridge top area where we had a decent amount of sightings last year. We'll be back on that ridge top in the morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sometimes it's a battle of will to just set there and wait, and sometimes the waiting is rather long. Hang with it!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Well the last two days have been interesting. Saturday morning we were both set up on this ridge top we hunted last year. Around 815am 3 guys come walking through. Of course they are making tons of noise. 2 in camo with stands and 1 in blue jeans. They walk by me and head down to where my buddy is. Turns out he has a shooter chasing a doe and the Three Stooges come in and bust them out. Then the guy in jeans comes up to my spot and starts walking all over the place. Back and forth looking for something. Not sure what he's doing but I whistle at him a few times and he never responds. Now I understand it's public land but is it too much to ask for a little common courtesy? We were both pretty pissed so we got the hell out of there around 9:30am. We went and hung some stands in a different area and hunted those in the afternoon. I saw one small buck and my buddy saw two.

Today I did an all day sit, although I did get down twice. Once to move my stand and the other just stretch my legs and eat lunch. I saw 7 deer all day. At 3pm I had what looked like a 10 point sneak in at 20 yards. I had no idea he was there until we locked eyes. I knew at that point I was fugged. He hung around for about 5 seconds and left. I was pissed but what can you do. This buck was definitely a public land shooter and you don't get many chances like that on public. We're not leaving until Saturday so we still have 5 days left to hunt. Hopefully we can get er done.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Public land deer know all about human movement and it probably bothers humans more so than deer......
Keep at it, adjust and you may get the results you're looking for....

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Didn't see chit today. Hunted 2 different spots. Damn warm weather has got em all fugged up. I think I'll be hunting the stand I had the encounter with the 10 point for the rest of the week. Good as spot as any I guess. Hopefully this cold front coming Wednesday will get them back on their feet.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang, sorry to hear those 3 douchers messed up your hunt the other day, but just keep at it. Good luck, I hope this cold front moving in soon get you more deer activity!