Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A introduction...so to speak

themedic

OHIO
With a little downtime between shed season and turkey season (and me being a little short on writing material), I thought now would be a good time to share A Little More About Me. I have always been a big fan of the Drury Outdoors videos and my favorite parts have always been the footage that shows Mark and Terry’s everyday lives and extracuricular hobbies. The intent of this post, is to let you see another aspect of my life. I hope you enjoy viewing this post as much as I did creating it.

For starters, I’m 32 years old and I was born and raised in Fairfield County, Ohio. I have lived here my entire life and don’t plan on ever leaving. I’m married and live near Bremen, Ohio with my wife Nina. Nina and I have been together for about 5 years, married for the last two. We bought a small farm outside of Bremen, in the summer of 2011. We have lived there since and wouldn’t trade our simple life for anything.

My wife was born in Ohio, but has lived in Germany most of her life. Much of her family still lives in Germany and thus, we regularly travel to the mother land to visit her family and enjoy German vacations. I’m very lucky to have a wife that supports me and my hunting addiction so much. Also, a wife that has introduced me to a life and country I never thought I would know first hand.

We have no children, but we do have a 4 year old, registered yellow lab named Booner the Whitetail Ranger. Nina brought him home when we were just dating in 2009. Many times, I joke and say “Booner is the glue that holds us together”. It’s amazing how much we love that dog. I have spent many hours training Booner as a shed hunting dog but his training has only landed me two, unassisted/retrieved sheds and both, I probably would have found without him. Mainly, he is a family pet and he is spoiled rotten most of the time.

For a living I’m a career firefighter and paramedic. I have 10 years of full-time service, split between two departments. Currently, I work for the City of Lancaster, Division of Fire. This is, and always has been, my dream job. It’s a very rewarding job, where I am able to help people almost daily. I work a shift that consists of 24 hours on, and 48 hours off. Its a great schedule that allows me ample time for family and hobbies. For anyone that is career searching, I strongly recommend this career path.

I started the idea of Booner’s Acres Guide Service in 2009 while swapping hunts with other forum members. The idea then progressed into buying a farm and starting fully guided hunts in 2011. I don’t claim to operate a Hadley Creek and I don’t ever intend Booner’s Acres to be a large guide service. Its a very small, family ran operation, with very personal service. It allows me to meet hunters from across the mid-west and share my passion for hunting while making some money that I use to make improvements to my farm.
Hosting hunters in camp that share an intense compassion for hunting comes very easy to Nina and I. In fact, we love hosting dinner parties, cook-outs and bonfires, and if we’re not hosting hunters in camp, it’s what we can be found doing many nights any other time of year. We are people persons! We immensely enjoy hanging out with friends, evenings out to dinner at our favorite restaurant (Roosters in Lancaster, Ohio) and campfires at our farm with friends are my idea of a perfect evening

I drive a 4 wheel drive, Toyota Tacoma with access cab…..color white (my favorite color for trucks). In the last year, I’ve out grown that little truck and I am in need of something much bigger. Hopefully soon, I can update this post with my new truck. Toyota is all I’ve ever owned, so making the switch wont be easy, but I like the looks of the Chevy 2500 HD’s.

Overall I’m not a sports fan but do enjoy the occasional baseball game. The easy going and relaxing atmosphere of a ball park is always a great time. Every year, Nina and I attend a few Columbus Clippers games (a minor league baseball team in Columbus, Ohio) and a couple Cincinnatti Reds games. One of these days the Big Red Machine will rise again!

A few other random things. I love coffee! I drink it morning, mid-day and always after dinner. Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons and I’m not a fan of hot weather. Salt and vinegar chips and a Diet Mt. Dew on a summer day makes warm weather bearable. I’m not partial to any particular beer but tend to gravitate toward seasonal brews. I listen to country music 90% of the time. Eric Church, Justin Moore, Chris Cagle, Garry Allen and Easton Corbin are some of my favorites. I also like Pink and Justin Timberlake…..thats kind of embarrassing isn’t it? I used to be a gym rat but have fell off that wagon in the recent years. I hope to work on making fitness an important part of my life again soon, but their just seem to be enough hours in the day. Thats takes me to my last topic.

I’m a workaholic. It’s hard for me to pull away from working on my farm house. When I do, enjoying anything outdoors is where you’ll find me. Hunting, fishing, trapping, arrowhead hunting, shooting, morel hunting, 4 wheeler riding, hiking and just plain scouting are all things I enjoy.

I hope you enjoyed this little break from the normal and peek into my personal life.