Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A bloody arrow that I do know about

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Friday afternoon I went down to the farm I typically hunt, the plan being I would be hunting there hard all weekend. As I pull up to the farmers lane to get dressed another hunter pulled up and asked where I was going. After exchanging some information he also told me that another guy was hunting the west side of the farm, a bedding area we do not touch. GREAT. So I elected to pull out and go to the north east side of the farm so I didn't booger them up. As I get to the other side I notice yet another truck on the North side of the property. FANTASTIC. Feeling defeated already I dressed and headed to the stand. I did manage to see a small 5 point, but that was it. After getting out I decide that I was going to pull anchor and head back home and hunt behind the house. Saturday afternoon I got my decoy ready and ran it out on the four wheeler. I have a really big nine point that has been showing up, most recently, Halloween evening 30 minutes before last light. Later that evening, I received a text message from Ryan saying that the big 8 point we were after had been killed by one of the hunters that were hunting that farm on Friday. FUGG! So Saturday evening I went out behind the house around 4 and got settled in. At last light, what I thought was two does stepped out and started heading my direction. Once they seen the decoy they got really curious. After glassing the field looking possible tailing bucks, I picked the biggest of the two and waited for them to step past the Egyptian wheat plot screen. Once they cleared it I had a 22 yard shot. As "the biggest doe" slowly crept towards the decoy I settled my pin and let it fly. Complete pass through and I heard the deer crash within seconds. I waited 10 minutes and snuck out. The "biggest doe" ended up being a BB, so I am assuming the other deer was his twin sister and mom had given them the boot. To add to the debauchery, Sunday after the storms blew through, the sun came out and so did the big nine point. I watched him from the house scent check the fields and then move back into the thicket. I scrambled to get dressed, grab the essentials and I snuck back. Sat until dark, of course he never made a second appearance. This cat and mouse game behind the house could get interesting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats! Some good eating right there! Sorry to hear about the mass invasion, happening everywhere once November arrives.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
FWIW, I see no decline in hunter participation, if anything there is an increase by the amount of vehicles I’ve seen parked and loaded down with hunting gear.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The first two weeks of November is now the new gun season. There are more tourist in Southern Ohio now than you could shake a stick at.