Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

460 S&W Mag rifle spoke with authority

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats! I've been looking at those guns, glad to hear you like it

On paper it seems to be one of the best. On deer it proved it self.
I was going to build a AR in 357 AR which is a 357 maximum rimless case but decided not to. The 357 AR looks like it shoots a 140 gr bullet at 2200-2300 FPS and my 460 S&W shoots a 225 gr bullet at 2650 FPS. Unless Lundy explains it different.
I already had the TC Encore frame on my smokeless ML so for a $280 barrel it was a cheap build. Already had a good scope so that saved a bunch to. It was even a better build as my son paid for the barrel. LOL

And I'm a firm believer that bigger is better and you can't over kill a deer.

I used my Marlin 45-70 for the last 3 years and took 4 one shot kills but the with the same type bullet and faster velocity the 100 yds mid range height at was 7" for the 45-70 and only 3.8" for the 460 S&W to be dead on at 200 yds. I can only shoot 200 yds on my farm so it's just right.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Congrats on the doe Frank!
But what is it that impresses you with the Hornady bullets? Is it their inaccuracy, their inability to knock a deer down and keep it down (it's a 460 for cripes sake!!!), or their ability to keep all the blood inside a deer until it expires? I've had lots of bum luck with Hornadys through my ML, and your write-up doesn't sell me on them any better!
But I'm glad your search party was able to find it for ya!!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on the doe Frank!
But what is it that impresses you with the Hornady bullets? Is it their inaccuracy, their inability to knock a deer down and keep it down (it's a 460 for cripes sake!!!), or their ability to keep all the blood inside a deer until it expires? I've had lots of bum luck with Hornadys through my ML, and your write-up doesn't sell me on them any better!
But I'm glad your search party was able to find it for ya!!!

Bad shot placement plan and simple. Too high and all the blood ran into the bottom of the deer's body cavity. I've done the same bullet placement in the past and same results. Didn't plan on that high of a shot.
The Hornady bullet did it's job on inside the body cavity. I've taken over 7 deer 1 shot kills with this Hornady bullet design and plan on taking taking plenty more with the same bullet.

Last edited: