Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

460 S&W Mag rifle spoke with authority

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did a all day hunt in my tower today.
7:45 have a small 6 pt buck at 35 yds.
Nothing all day.
5:25 a young doe is walking past my tower in the neighbors hay field headed towards the food plot. So why drag it when it'll come into the plot anyway. Well it doesn't and walked to the neighbor's woods.
5:30 a big mature doe walks out of the woods into the food plot at 75 yds. I took the shot and dropped it in it's tracks. Get my coveralls off and put my gear away and walk over to where I shot it and it's gone. Not a drop of blood anywhere. I did grid search of the whole area and no blood. So I searched the whole 1 ac clover plot she was in and turned around and 500 ft away I see eyes shining. I walk back to where I shot it and it was a damn cat.
Called my son to come down to help search. He brought along his thermo imaging scope and did an scan of the whole field with nothing seen.
I entered the woods on the trail she came from and my son said 'it's laying 20 ft to your left. The doe took the other trail and made it about 25 yds into the woods.
Over all she ran 50 yds after the shot and not a drop of blood. Only blood was 2 drops beside her.
In field dressing it appeared I made a high shot and took out at least one lung and her liver just exploded. She sure bleed out.

I'm really impressed with the 225 gr FTX Hornady bullet destruction out of the 460 S&W Mag at 2650 FPS.

I might add in over 50 yrs of Ohio deer hunting and way over 50 deer taken I've never seen a deer with this much fat. She surely is well fed and I'm hoping my food plot does some good for the local deer herd.

Last edited: