Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 shrooms

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Found a few more this morning!
IMG_20180512_084433850.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
not sure what those are, but they look quite a lot like Shaggy Mane's, which are quite delicious. ate a shit ton of those when I was moose hunting in Newfoundland. dang things grow in the middle of old logging roads like weeds.

Jamie

Ohio
LIVING IN REAL TIME

The summer Solstice has always marked the beginning of the countdown to hunting season for me. it also happens to be my wedding anniversary, and now I have another good reason to revere the longest day of the year.

having read that Chanterelles are around from mid June to mid August, I went to check my honey holes today and found enough for dinner tonight, but also saw tons of tiny little golden buttons coming up. this is the earliest I've ever bothered to look for them, but they are up now and obviously just getting started. we put up 70 half pints of Chant's last year in less than four weeks. didn't pick a mushroom until July 20 or so. if the crop is anywhere near as bountiful as last year, we should be able to put up 100 half pints. I'll be packing about half of them in pint jars this time as I used whole pints of these for many things.

IMG_1653.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
rained out today from working at my paying job, but mushroom season in full swing for me. Chanterelles aplenty today. plus a bonus find of a nice fresh, young glob of Chicken-of-the-Woods. first time I've ever found them in a condition worth eating, so I brought them home. sliced, sautéed in butter with a bit of fresh garlic. this is friggin' magnificent fungus. very tender, earthy/nutty flavor. I'll be looking hard for these anytime I'm out from now on. foraging for food beats the shit out of painting houses and the pay is almost as good:)

this is a large beach towel. I got about 20lbs of Chanterelles today. chicken of the woods in lower right corner.

IMG_1676.JPG

cleaned and separated into manageable pieces.
IMG_1677.JPG

sliced thin and sautéed in butter

IMG_1678.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Looks great. I have a buddy who gives me bunches of Hen of the Woods every year. Yesterday while putting out a trail cam, i found 2 softball size puffballs in the landowners lower yard, which used to be pasture. But alas, they were a few days too far gone, with a tint of green inside and pretty spongy. Definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled now