Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Random Turkey Scouting

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm so damn excited i can't stand it! Hopefully Travis can bust one in the morning. If it looks like he's going to connect I'll live stream it on our FB.

Tried to roost one tonight but none were gobbling. We have been hearing about 6-10 birds every morning by the house here, so we pretty well know where they will be.

Good luck to all heading out for the youth opener this weekend.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tried to roost one tonight but none were gobbling. We have been hearing about 6-10 birds every morning by the house here, so we pretty well know where they will be.

Good luck to all heading out for the youth opener this weekend.
We tried to roost them with no luck also. Looks like it'll be the ole bum rush, get in position ans wait for the first tree gobble then scoot in close with a deek.

I don't know about yall but to me the night before turkey season i'm like a kid on christmas eve. I'm not going to sleep for shit. If we had a good moon I'd be in the woods right now looking up!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They didn't come to the top field this mornong so we managed to get to the bottom field and out front of them. They walked by at 30 and Travis flat missed. Two more shots on the wing and nada. We got to the house and shot his gun at a papet plate at 30 yards. 13 pellets high on the plate.

3 inch longbeatd XR #5 with a primos tightwad choke out of an 870. I shot to make sure it wasn't him. Same shit. A foot and a half high. Next he shot a good ole rem nitro turkey and it was right on the money.

I shot a 3.5 longbeard xr #4 out of my gun with a jellyhead choke and destroyed a paper plate at 30.

I guess his gun or choke just hates those shells. I didn't pattern them in his gun because X brand pattern over Y brand pattern only really starts to matter past 30 yards. Inside 30 a shell is a shell none of them should be a foot and a half high.

Here is the 3.5 Longbeard XR #4 I shot at 30 out of my Stoger with a jellyhead choke.

Stinks about this miss. Hopefully he will get another crack at them.

Slow morning for us in Ohio. Didn't hear any on the roost which was surprising and after that I think we heard 3 different birds, but never got one to work.