Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Random Turkey Scouting

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We decided to check our path to our first light setup near the house...the ridge has been timbered. There are plenty of roost trees left but it will change things. Kind of sad to see it like that, lots of great memories hunting there. We have taken a truck load of turkeys on that little ridge.
We slipped out to the fields to check them and there were 3 big boys strutting and at least 3 hens.

OO2

In the Uplands
Can't wait to get out in the woods. Haven't had any time to scout turkey spot but I'm pretty pumped. Only 4 more days of class then finals. Gotta push through so I can enjoy my break!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Headed to Zanesville for a meeting tomorrow, so I can stop by the farm to scout the first hour. First time I've done any scouting this spring. Not much sense in it since 80 acres ain't a ton of ground and they pretty much roost in the same 4-5 trees on us every year.

OO2

In the Uplands
No don't want cameras to get swiped. I have a general idea I think where they will come and go from. I'm limited with 13 acres

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Groups of hens with some jakes right now making all sorts of noise. Two thunderous gobbles from a big boy near them, and another one on down the ridge. The NC boys leasing that farm may kill all the good bucks, but they did gift me turkey hunting rights and it's just what the doctor ordered! Every bird pitched from us, in to their corn field. They just spread manure on that field, so I'd say it's a bug buffet right now.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
About 2pm saw a nice gobbler in the one strut zone on the farm. He gobbled a few times and them walked off.

My brother was walking EVWA this past weekend and saw wife a few in the fields where we deer hunt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Took K out this morning hoping she would get to hear what I heard yesterday and not a damn gobble today. Heard one hen cut it up briefly at 6:30 and that was it. Kinda strange...

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
0 for 4 in WV now. I was able to get within shouting distance of a tom on the roost. He went away with a hen. I nearly got in front of them but ran out of legal ground before they entered a clear cut. I later called in 4 jakes but didn't have decoys out and they hung up at 60 yards. Only 1 other bird answered but only once. Hoping for a more active week in Ohio.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
WV opening week was a bust. An hour drive and mile walk (up hill), check radar when I get to top. Ugh. It didn't start raining until about flydown time but nothing gobbled. Then the skies opened up. I was ok with that. The lightning that started shortly after sent me running for the truck. Home now and rain is done. Going to check cameras at the cabin.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
As I was checking cams today one gobbled 150 yards from me. He gobbled 3 times around 12:45. The last 3 days there have been 3-4 Toms on us and 3 groups of Jakes, at least 12 different ones.