Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Turned out not half bad.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I didnot start a Hunting Log like some of you did do to the fact that I really dident know how much of the season I would get to hunt but it turned out ok . I was going to just leave my story out do to the fact that it was one of those season when you are just glad its over. With battling heath issues , the weather being what it was and the fact that we are just not seeing the game that we have in the last 4 to 5 years I have to say that I am glad I did not give up. I seen more deer in the 4 day muzzle loader season then I have in the last 2 years put together. On Saturday I seen 7 does and 2 small bucks that was far enough away I dident fell comfortable shooting. On Sunday I never even made it out of the truck and turned around and came home. On Monday I did make to the woods but was fighting for air and wishing I would have stayed home but figured I was there and may as well make the best of it. Just inside the woods there is a hollowed out old beach tree that is open on one side I set in this tree before turkey hunting a few times and figured I would set there till I could get my wind back and make it back to the blind at the back of the woods. I sat there maybe 20 minutes when I heard a lot of crashing come from behind me when I had 7 does come in to the right of me and the way I was setting I could not turn to get a shot. I seen one of them break off from the rest and go up a 4 wheeler trail they had just crossed. I thought if I just sat there that she would come back looking for rest of them and I would have a freezer deer and I would be done. I set there for another 10 minutes and I hear more crashing coming up behind me. By this time the sun is coming thru the trees behind me and I look off to my right and all I see is the shadow of antlers BIG ANTLERS. Here I am setting inside this tree with no way to even look behind me and he is so close I can hear him breathing and nothing I can do but hope he don’t wind me and come on around the tree.Well he dident come around and he did wind me. One loud snort and spins around and am trying to get out of the tree to at least get a look at him . By the time I stood up he was about 30yrd away and he had 3 other shooters with him. This bucks rack was like you would see on a Texas buck, straight out main beams with 6 perfect points on both sides. The other 3 that was with him was good size 8 points and a nice 6 point. After watching them run back from the way they had come in I thought I would make my way back to where I had a blind setup for the wife and hope they would work there way around the woods and try to go out the back by where this blind is. On the way back I did bump the doe that had went down the 4wheeler path . She was still standing in the path eating a apple core I had thrown down on Saturday. Right beside the path where she was standing I found my first shed and it is a fat one, nice mass to it and it has a hole in it but its not thru the horn, it is kind of hard to explain so I will post some pics of it. I did make to the blind and am not there 30 minutes when here comes 14 does with 2 nice bucks pushing them from the other side of this woods, all moving to fast to even think about shooting and as I watch them run off to my left I hear something behind me and turn just in time to see Im guessing the 6 does from before. After setting for about a hour and not seeing no more movement I catch a couple flashes of orange and its getting to be around 4pm and I figure I would call it a day with a 30min walk back to the truck. On Tuesday morning I made it all the way to where the blind was without having to stop and right at first light I see 6 does being pushed by 1 buck down along the outside of the wood in a corn field to my right and they never came into the woods where I could see.After about 20 minutes from the same way the 7 had just went comes 18 does and 3 bucks running wide open like someone had set fire to there butts. I seen nothing more til about noon when I hear someone talking behind me. I turn and see this older guy just talking up a storm and pointing at this old broken down fence that has been there for years and he’s alone talking to himself. He walks off to the west of me and after about 20mins from the some way this guy just walked I hear crashing and look out to see 11 does and 1 buck standing down at the bottom of this hill on the corner of a wetlands thats down there . The buck looks right up at me but never busts out. The does start to file up the hill right at the blind and Im thinking final , after seeing all these deer for the last 2 days and never even coming close to getting a shot, it all comes down to having one walk right to me. These deer had to walk behind a cluster of wild grape vines coming up the hill and I got turned to where I would have a 10yrd shot. The first doe come out, then 2 more, then 4, then 8 and finely the the last 3 does, But no buck. I have no idea where he went. I am setting there scratching my head thinking where in the hell did he go. I look out the side of the blind a there stand one big doe all by her self and I think well , it now or never. 20ft from the blind I let her have it. She ran about 50yrd right back down the hill into the wetlands and crashes right in the water. I get my stuff together, trying to tell myself the doe will taste better then the tag. I walk down the hill and I can see this things butt sticking up in the air and the first thing I see is a set of nuts the size of a baseball. My heart sank thing I just shot the buck from the big shed I found. After pulling him out of the water it turns out it was a large button buck with horns the size if your thumb. After it was all over I got to thinking, I wonder how with 2 trail cams in this woods all summer, I never got pics of the big guy I seen on Monday or of the guy that the shed came from? I told my wife tonight that if this is the last deer season I get to see, it was worth every bit of it.

I would also like to thank each and every one of you on here for posting all your storys and sharing your hunting times. I dont like to talk or share personal things but will say my hunting has drop to about 10% of what I use to do and I have almost given up the trapping. That is a big blow to someone who use to run a 10hr trap line. But having all of your storys to read on here can make a person feel like they are right there with you and I thank you all for that. I still think there are a few of you on here that is off your rockers, but I still love the storys.lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
WOW Camofry! You had one of the most memorable muzzy seasons ever! I wish you could have got a good shot at one of them bucks. Sounded like you took it all in and enjoyed yourself. Thanks for sharing your hunt. Goodluck in your future hunts as well.