Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 Season Goals

loose_is_fast

McClure
i know a guy who bow hunts off a bucket two rows into the corn all the time he is very good at it.he harvested three does this year using this method.I like to stalk corn fields it takes time but we are 100% on opportunities.what we do is start accross the end look down each row once you get to the other side you walk down the edge about 75 yards and step in.put your head into the next row and look both ways.step into that row and look in the next we do it very slow and quiet. once you make it through the field head down 75 more and go back. you will be amazed how well this works .obviously you start on the down wind end and the best time to do this is in a stronger wind or just after or during rain, it cuts down on the noise a ton.I have taken numerouse deer this way and if you can't stand to sit all day this is a great alternative,you can actually get very close, all my shots are within twenty yards.

mrex

*Supporting member*
i know a guy who bow hunts off a bucket two rows into the corn all the time he is very good at it.he harvested three does this year using this method.I like to stalk corn fields it takes time but we are 100% on opportunities.what we do is start accross the end look down each row once you get to the other side you walk down the edge about 75 yards and step in.put your head into the next row and look both ways.step into that row and look in the next we do it very slow and quiet. once you make it through the field head down 75 more and go back. you will be amazed how well this works .obviously you start on the down wind end and the best time to do this is in a stronger wind or just after or during rain, it cuts down on the noise a ton.I have taken numerouse deer this way and if you can't stand to sit all day this is a great alternative,you can actually get very close, all my shots are within twenty yards.

We call it the "corn field creep." Very effective and fun way to hunt standing corn once the ears have drooped. Gene Biddlespatcher and Barry Wensel filmed this for a video called "Bowhunting October Whitetails" made about 25 years ago. They also filmed "archery" deer drives. They practiced running shots by shooting at balloons taped inside rolling tires.

Diablo54

Outside
We call it the "corn field creep." Very effective and fun way to hunt standing corn once the ears have drooped. Gene Biddlespatcher and Barry Wensel filmed this for a video called "Bowhunting October Whitetails" made about 25 years ago. They also filmed "archery" deer drives. They practiced running shots by shooting at balloons taped inside rolling tires.

Great video

saddlepants

central Ohio
1. Get real good with my new Bow
2. Attract some deer to my tiny property
3. peg down a good piece of land to hunt.
4. stabilize my relationship with my husband

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm in a pickle with my goals for the rest of this year.

At the beginning of the year I bought an either-sex tag and a doe tag. Used the either-sex on my buck. Now I'm stuck with a doe tag that can only be used in an urban zone.
I think I try I can harvest one in one of the two spots I can hunt that are in urban zones. But it would be with my xbow.

I really, really want to make a kill with my muzzy, it doesn't have blood on it yet. So to hunt muzzy season I gotta buy another tag.

And after a lot of thought, especially over the deer population being down thread, I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'm gonna limit myself to 2 deer per season, a buck and a doe.
But that means I'd hafta eat a tag (again....nothin new to me), which I don't wanna do.

The meat wouldn't go to waste, that's not an issue. And I definitely want to hunt muzzy.

So that settles it. I'm trying for two does - one muzzy and one urban zone.
Them urban zones does need to die anyway.

Talked myself thru that one, didn't I?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well done Dan! I am rethinking the "kill more does" deal as well. I still think it is property specific or region specific. Since I killed my first doe in Hocking County to donate, I don't feel bad. (Leased ground with tons of food plots and more does than I could count on a daily basis. Don't think I was contributing to the problem on this property.) I killed my second on our farm here in Allen County. She is in the freezer. Still debating whether I should take any more this year. I really could use another for the freezer. Then again, I hate to kill one if there is still a chance at a buck. Decisions decisions decisions.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My number 1 goal is to make it a priority to get at least one or both of my daughters to the hunter safety course this year. My oldest(who's 14) just recently said she'd like to take the test and go hunting with me. It sure made me happy especially when it came out of the blue and she never really showed much interest.

Other goals:
Get some work done around the house
Buy another tag so I can hunt for another doe
Find more sheds than I did last year(hopefully Bonehead if he made it thru)

Schu72

Streetsboro
Have fun.
Get my son in front of his first deer.
Take a buck over 130 with my bow.
Extend the steak of 17 consecutive seasons taking a deer.
Fill the fridge full of smokey stix.

Had fun...check
son's first deer...check
Buck over 130 with a bow....ppfffttt. Only missed by 15 inches.lmao:smiley_blackeye:
17 seasons and rolling....check
Fridge full of smokies....yummmm check.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great goals and aspirations fellas!

My goals are to simply hunt hard and to have fun. There is a lot more to it than that, but if I’m sure to do those two things, then all the others items on my list will fall in to place…

I hunted as hard this year as I ever have in terms of working hard to find the rights sets and in terms of making the best use of my time on stand. I did have some fun, but not as much as I had hoped for. All in all, it's been an "OK" year at best...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I hunted as hard this year as I ever have in terms of working hard to find the rights sets and in terms of making the best use of my time on stand. I did have some fun, but not as much as I had hoped for. All in all, it's been an "OK" year at best...

Season isnt over yet Jesse..