Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 Season Goals

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Im gonna put more time into Bow season...I hunted 4 days with the Bow last year and had 3 oppurtunities. One buck was a 135 inch 10 pointer and the other 2 were pushin 150 to 160. The 135"er's Doe winded me..Poor setup on my part..I tried to cover it all instead of covering less with the proper wind...Poor treestand placement. The other 2 big bucks were going nuts..they flew past me..couldnt stop em.

Im gonna try real hard to take a good buck with the Bow this year.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Here are a few of mine

1. Enjoy myself, and time with my dad while hunting
2. Get a good shooter on trail cam
3. Hunt from sun up til sun down in the same stand, never been patient enough to do that
4. Kill some does with my bow
5. Kill a big buck with my bow

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not fug anything or myself up..... let the cards fall where they fall and fill the freezer..... well at least half full....

Huckleberry Finn

...what are you doing now to reach your goals?

A big subpoint in this group will be finding a new spot to shoot once I relocate.

$25 and a $5 donation tonight opens up a years worth of shooting...40 yard archery range with a 16 ft platform. 10 minutes away. Yea baby!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I only have a few goals for this season. Number one would be, of course, for me and everyone I know to have a safe deer season. Second, I would love to help my younger brother drag his first buck out of the woods. He's only been bowhunting for the past three seasons, and only has a button buck to show for his efforts, so for him to use up his buck tag while I'm around would really be awesome. Lastly, I'd like to finally tag a buck that makes it into the BBBC book. The last two bucks I've killed have been "close but no cigar." I've had a lot of great deer seasons, and put tags on some fine animals, but to finally knock down a book-deer would be make me a really happy man.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great thread Guys...

I haven't thought much about it for this season, so it'll probably be the same as last year.... Just have fun.

Other things I'm planning on
  • Take both kids out a few times
  • Let my son tag along on a bow hunt for the first time
  • Duck hunt water a few more times than last season
  • Cook up some good breakfast when duck hunting out of the boat blind!!
  • Donate at least one deer to FHFH again
  • Take Beentown duck & goose hunting several times!!!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
[*]Take Beentown duck & goose hunting several times!!!
[/LIST]

Lets just stick with this one for the time being ;)

How old is your boy again Sean? My oldest is wanting to go out with me this year and I am just not too sure about it, she is 5. Maybe on a rainy day in the blind???

Beentown

huntn2

Hudson, OH
My goals for this season are as follows:

1. Have fun and be safe
  2. Take at least 2 deer. Last year was my first of the 5 I have hunted that I only took 1.
  3. Take my first OH deer
  4. Take my first deer with my bow
  5. Take a 3.5 year old or older buck

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
With work and training, i'm setting my goals realistic.

1. Harvest a doe for the freezer before the rut
2. Hunt every opportunity I can get in the woods in November that my schedule will allow.
3. If I don't get a buck in Nov-gun season, I will harvest the next mature doe I see in Dec-Jan to complete my season

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Take 3 bucks.

1 in FL- hopefully 115 ish
1 in GA-hopefully 125 ish
1 in OH- hopefully 135-140 ish

If I did that it would be the greatest season ever. But, I'll be real happy just sitting in a tree for a couple months and watching squirrels fight and some does run around. My deer goals are funny because they are really the only ones that are set that I don't care all that much if I hit them. I always hope to, but I'm so happy 20 ft up... I forget I even have goals.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh, I forgot one.... I'd like to finally shoot a deer on opening day of bow season. That's been one that I just haven't been fortunate enough to accomplish yet.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Lets just stick with this one for the time being ;)

How old is your boy again Sean? My oldest is wanting to go out with me this year and I am just not too sure about it, she is 5. Maybe on a rainy day in the blind???

Beentown

He's 6, but I've been taking him along (waterfowling) once or twice each season since he's been about 3.5. I take plenty of snacks, drinks, and go out with the understanding that the hunt is gonna end as soon as he starts getting either bored, cold, hungry, or wet. I just try to make it fun, birds or no birds.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I have thought a lot a bout my goals for the season! I start off the new year with a list of outdoors type goals. Fishing, hunting gardening, turtle trapping, shroom hunting, that kinda stuff. This fall has plans and goals TOO!
1.) Donate to FHFH. I will donate my third deer I harvest too FHFH, if it is not my buck. If it falls in that order, it would need to be my 4th harvest of the season.
2.) Tag out in at least 1 of the 3 zones I will be hunting in.
3.) Go hunting on some of the public land around here at least once to try it. I picked up 2 ground blinds for this. Which brings me to my next goal....
4.) Harvest a deer out of a ground blind.
5.) Kill a couple of rabbits for stew.
6.) Enjoy being outdoors, and thank God for it!
7.) Yeah, it would be great to kill a nice buck that I can hand on the wall.
8.) Get out a shed hunt in the spring. I know that I missed out on the sheds based on what I had around late last season.

those are my goals for this 2011-2012 season.

Huckleberry Finn

First and foremost, I would like to kill a deer with my bow. This will be my second season. I had one missed shot last year, and two other times that I probably should have drawn.

Done. 10/29 - a day I'm never going to forget. Shot 2 does with my bow.

2nd - improve my shooting. I was talking to Milo about this last night, I've got a burn desire to be the absolute best shot that I can be. On my average days, I am putting arrows into a vitals target at 30 yards. I want to consistently improve my shooting to an undefined point of marksmanship. I'm still having a ton of fun with it, so it wont be "I've got to shoot quarters at xx yards." I just want to keep learning about the principles of archery and how I can improve as a shot and thus as a hunter. A big subpoint in this group will be finding a new spot to shoot once I relocate.

Working on this. Still shooting once or twice a week at the Sportsman's club I joined. My last shooting lesson put me over the wall I was at, and I'll keep working on it.

3rd - I'd like to better my time on the stand. Not waste it being distracted, but truly value each chance to sit in the woods and be closer to God, and to become a better hunter. There's a ton to learn, I know that much. Each trip is a learning experience. For me, that's going to look like avoiding the temptation to hunt all over creation, but instead focus on hunting a single spot intelligently. I guess making that one spot my main spot, and then hunting other spots under different conditions.

Can't say I've done this! I spent not that much time on stand (morning to noon and an hour or so in the evening). Throwing up out of the stand isn't good stand manners! Neither is bumblefuggin in because you think someone is on your stand. Always can use more seat time...

Finally, I want to hunting the opening morning of gun season. I haven't in three years, and I'd like to this year. (Bad news is that'd mean that I hadn't filled a tag with my bow in the previous 13 days of the season I was able to hunt!). For me that will mean having other circumstances aligned and working my tail off to get ahead and not slack off, so that I'm in a position to stretch my vacation through opening day. We'll see.

This would be very hard to justify at this point, but...we'll see!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
8) In conjunction with my "more doe harvests" goal, I would like to start donating to our local FHFH chapter. We definitely need to thin some does, and there are certainly people in need.

Checked this one off the list opening week.

2) Harvest more does.

Since donating my doe opening week, I haven't been able to buy one. Maybe I should have donated the second doe? lmao

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I have a new one..there's a partially cut corn field across the road from the house. I was walkin my beagle this morning and thought of something i would love to do. I want to kill a doe with my bow, on the ground up againts the corn thats still in. The deer feed right down to that uncut corn almost every day, twice a day. I have an old corn camo coat that i could throw on, with maybe some ghillie suit bottoms. I might throw up a trail cam this week on a telephone pole thats about 40 yards from the uncut corn and see what shows up, and when. Anyone else ever do this?