Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2-way Radios

Ok. Pulling this from the safety thread, but I am looking to get some 2-way radios for hunting next year since my son will be hunting on his own. Down at camp in SE Ohio cell coverage is spotty at best. Looking for something with good range and also something that we could alert quietly. Anyone have any recommendations? or one's to avoid?

You guys gonna do the ear buds? I liked that suggestion. As long as you have radios that don’t repeat the bleep.
Did you get them at bass pro? I was just looking at their flyer today and noticed one on sale. I was surprised but they said it had a 38 mile range!

I ordered them from Cabelas. Got a gift card the other day for there. I did get the one's with 38 mile range, but I assume that means I might get a mile or two in hilly terrain? Time will tell on that. We will most likely be hunting on the same ridge anyway so that should be an issue. It has a silent alert mode and I got the ear bud that has a push to talk microphone on the cord too. I hope they work well.

Wife really wanted the Inreach with so little of the area down there having cell service and since I hunt a fair amount by myself. Probably not a bad idea since I plan on using climbers more next year.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Years ago when hunting in Pennsylvania before we had cell phones, we used two way radios. One guy was about 3/4 of a mile away but because of the terrain, we couldn’t hear each other....another guy was about three miles away and he could hear both of us. He would have to relay messages between us. The range on the newer radios is much greater, so I don’t think you’ll have much trouble unless the terrain is real steep around you. Good luck with them.

Reactions: cspot