Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason, 2017

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you for sharing your hunts and videos with us. I smiled the whole time. Happy for you guys!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Humbling how calm you two were about your week... I was a mess to even see two deer of that caliber in one fridge. Congrats again

Thanks for dropping by, Dave. I enjoyed the visit!

Thank you all for the comments. I've passed them along to Mason. He's had a big day of story telling.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Fantastic reading and watching material for a rainy morning in the blind! It's a privilege to follow along with you two each year Brock. What you've taught Mason and the times you've shared outdoors are the things I wish my dad had done with me. You two are exemplary in your relationship as father and son, but also as friends. Congrats to both of you on a season of a lifetime for most, but what is sure to be the first of many more like it for you two!

Well done gentlemen! 👏 🍻

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason took his friend out in hopes of killing a deer. Coyotes ran off the only deer they saw. They are going back tomorrow morning. A good one has been in the area the last few mornings.

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 116

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I forgot to add that I took Mason and a couple friends to a youth pheasant hunt today. They killed 6. Mason killed his two firing only two shots. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks everyone.

Mason took his buddy, Josh out tonight. They hunted the stand Mason killed his first buck from a few years ago. They had a 140 sneak in, but they spooked him before a shot was fired. I sneaked around a bit, missed a squirrel with dad's bow, but not by much and it was a fairly long shot. I only saw one doe, at last light and I did not have a shot.

I'm planning to roll out of bed early to head up to Fayette for a couple hours. I can't stand the thought of not seeing them if they decide to come out and play tomorrow. I'll take Dad's bow and my handycam. I'd guess the cam will get a workout, the bow is just because you should have one when youre in the woods. :}

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Over slept today. No big deal. Rainy, nasty day. I'll set the alarm again tomorrow. Mason is taking Josh to a blind tonight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I were hanging w the landowner in his barn today. He has a big collection of sheds and deadheads. Mason spied one amongst them from 20 feet. He recognized it immediately. It's one we saw last year and hope to see this year with a little bigger set of horns. I was really surprised he knew that deer f I'm just a glance. Here he was last year.

Incidentally, I think this is the deer Mason killed the other day. If so, he grew about 20" from last year. I taped him before hauling him to the taxi, and if I remember correctly, he scored 152 2/8".... Boarhead, 2/8". ha. He was pretty happy the tape came out with a bigger number than ol dad's deer. Funny, seeing them side by side, his is obviously more impressive. Mine had 12 scoring points, his only 8, but they added up substantially better.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I rolled out late today. It was light enough to see silhouettes when I headed for the stand. I saw 5 on the way. Once I arrived I saw a lot of cool stuff during the hour I was there. Some dandy bucks, and a gobbler. Wish I could have stayed longer. Saw three really nice ones, and five young bucks. No tag, no problem. My little video cam is so much fun. I had no idea that deer had a drop tine until I watched the video.

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg