Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Argh, got TOO aggressive with a call.

ThunderEagle

2nd year hunting (I'm 43) and I've been having a check of a time seeing a deer this year. Was hopeful for today.

Sat in my ladder stand this morning on my property. Nothing going on and underestimated the cold. Back to house, more layers including heated vest.

Out to some public hunting land. Not seeing much. Battery in vest runs out and can't feel my feet, decide to pack it in.

Get to truck and text buddy. He convinces me to warm up and head back out. I do, and then forget to attach haul rope to my climber. Down and up again.

Shortly after I settle in, a 6+ point approaches. Small spread though, but this would be my first deer, so it is a shooter. :)

Trying to call him closer, seems to be working when I remember Waddell sayin his most successful call is the snort wheeze. There was my mistake, he wasn't looking for that kind of fight.

Saw one though, so I'm actually pulled out of my hunting frustration for now.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Yea that's a bit aggressive, but now you know. All deer act differently to calls, depending on the deer, the situation, the time of the year etc. Start subtle and work towards more aggressive calls until you get a reaction. Hopefully the deer doesn't turn inside out and head for the next county. Good luck out there!

Ricer2231

As vividly as you remember the reaction of that little buck right now, it will still be just as vivid 5 years from now. There is no better experience than actually getting in the tree and seeing the reactions of deer as things take place.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Don't ever snort-wheeze at a little buck. He has been getting whooped on. Can calls seem to work great on them tho FYI . Good luck wackiin one.

ThunderEagle

Well, he really wasn't all that little. Big Bodied, and as I said at least 6 points, I think it was more like 8, but real compact spread on it. Still, live and learn.

Went back this morning and a couple of doe came by, the smaller one presented me a shot, and I can now say I've tagged my first whitetail deer. She was fairly small, but that fresh back strap on the grill tonight with a little salt and pepper was oh so very good!

Ricer2231

Way to go man! Congrats on your first deer and yes there is nothing better than fresh backstraps on the grill and a cold Bud Light to wash it down. Yum Yum!