Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR field survey

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like the fact that Ohio has "cheap" non-resident tags. In fact, I think the rest of the "big buck" states should follow Ohio's lead. Why in the heck is a deer tag worth 500 dollars in Iowa? Granted, people pay it, and are glad to get it every 3rd year...but jeez, even if you kill one, its just a deer! I've paid 540+ dollars for an archery elk tag on several occassions. It's stupid. No reason any tag (piece of paper) should cost that much...and for an elk tag, that is cheap! I swear, one of these days I'm gonna revert back to just hunting squirrels.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like the fact that Ohio has "cheap" non-resident tags. In fact, I think the rest of the "big buck" states should follow Ohio's lead. Why in the heck is a deer tag worth 500 dollars in Iowa? Granted, people pay it, and are glad to get it every 3rd year...but jeez, even if you kill one, its just a deer! I've paid 540+ dollars for an archery elk tag on several occassions. It's stupid. No reason any tag (piece of paper) should cost that much...and for an elk tag, that is cheap! I swear, one of these days I'm gonna revert back to just hunting squirrels.

Because if Iowa dropped that tag to $24 and sold it to anybody over-the-counter they wouldn't have those bucks for long

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe, Iowa allows resident landowners to kill 3 bucks a year.
There are far fewer people in Iowa.
Non-residents draw a tag about every three years.
Iowa isn't protecting their bucks, they are insuring residents get to kill them, which is fine, but that is a world apart from what we have in Ohio... Ohio hunting for the average non-resident is not worth the same as a non-resident in Iowa.

bthompson1004 said:
I received the email as well, but no packet in the mail (yet)...I was wondering if I was going to be "randomly" selected this year or not...I have not bought a tag yet this year, a license yes, but no tag...
I'm the same boat with you. I received an e-mail survey, but only have a hunting license, at this time. I intend to purchase a couple of either sex deer tags, this weekend and start bowhunting until the Deer Gun Season.

I'm guessing that the electronic survey is going to be standard procedure, since they have my e-mail address. At least for me, I'd say that I won't be getting any "snail mailed" surveys. I'll fill it out and send it back in, toward the end of the season.

Bowhunter57