Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How much wind is to much wind?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Was blowing about 20 tonight where Alphamax and I were. He saw 2 bucks and I saw 1. He saw a 6 and a borderline shooter 8. I saw a basket 8.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was blowing here tonite and seen nothing. The wind letup about 5:00PM and still nothing.
Frank

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Report from a group of hunting friends: 3 guys hunted yesterday and they seen 2 shooters (their shooters are 150+) said the bucks looked interested in finding "scent" to go after. But believe it is early for pre-rut so far.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I sat out in the wind last night. Saw a doe with three fawns, and a buck at last light. I've killed two good bucks on windy nights just like last night, but I think I've decided I just don't like hunting in the wind. I don't plan to hunt anymore until it lays down. When it's something you just do for fun (like me), wind can take the fun out of it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Sat in it last night. Didn't see anything. What a miserable sit.
The standing water at my stand was deeper than it looked so I had to deal with soaking wet feet as well as the wind cutting through me. I need to remember rubber boots and a rain coat next time.
Got up this morning stepped out back and saw the wind was already blowing. Went back to bed.

Kaiser878

ohio
Deer live in wind,rain,snow etc...All conditions...When the wind blows deer dont just lay down and dont move... THey are living creatures..They have to eat. The better question is do they do the same thing they normally do? IMO id say no. They change their patterns to better suit their senses.... THink about what they rely on most... THeir sense of smell is altered in heavy wind, their hearing is altered in heavy wind, so all they can rely on is mostly their site... Does this mean they walk into a wide open field? sometimes, but not necessarily, but I think they go where they can see better.. For example, a more open woods with less under brush... or fence rows leading to/from bedding areas. They also may find breaks in the wind... Like being on a north facing bank/ridge with a strong southernly wind...

To make the assumption that a deer just lays down and doesnt move when its windy is crazy..What happens when you get 3,4, or 5 days in a row of super high winds?? THey still gotta eat, they gotta drink and they have to move... Liek I said before, its more a matter of a change in daily routine..

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I would rather hunt a "windy " than a calm day anytime . You'll see more big deer on windy days than dead calm days....Last night I saw 8-10 bucks and about the same number of does and yearlings.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Tell her I said I am really sorry for any inconvenience involved.....I feel so bad, that some pic's of that deer would sure help a lot!:smiley_computerfigh

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
All in due time! I'm still in trouble with the better half for killing a deer on our "anniversery".

They both only happen once a year. Bright side is: What's the chances of it happening again next year?:smiley_coolpeace:

Or you could blame it on her for getting Married during deer season? (But don't tell her it was my idea):smiley_boxing:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
There were at least two bucks and two does (no fawns) moving this morning in the howling wind. Only one buck and two does are moving now.

Nicely done!! Look forward to the pics.

Back on the wind topic... Anybody have good results still hunting standing corn in weather like this?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
546952_4815137662635_765938010_n.jpg

jeremy44230

Medina County
Just got home about 30 minutes ago and we got no power! Kinda sucks, been off since 6, the wife says.

Shit just came on!!! Guess I should have posted this earlier!! Woooohoooo