Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Introducing your kids to deer hunting

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
My son was playing games on my phone this morning when i tapped him on the shoulder and said "get ready, here comes a buck" 2 minutes later, he was tagged out for the season. Lol

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Once you have kids Jim, you will realize there are going to be sacrifices made to keep your kids occupied during certain parts of the hunt. If they are staying busy playing a a game for a while, then they aren't fidgeting around making noise and moving. My kids usually watch for a while, then play games for a while, then watch for a while.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't believe nobody started a "I know something thread"

This wasn't even a doe! Lol

I have been running all day. Might have but Hank has been chasing a hit buck for over a mile since around 630 tonight. I don't think the seer is dead. I did bring Garrett along though and despite hunger and fatigue he has hung in there.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats Gern, can't wait to see the pics & story.

Hicks, just wanna let you know you've helped inspire me to be less selfish with my stand time. I thought about this thread quite a bit while on stand yesterday afternoon. My son was begging me to go hunting yesterday, and I was just wanting to go out and kill a buck. Leaving him behind was tough, and my wife said he was bummed out not being able to go. That kind of stuff really makes you feel crappy. I've got a nice spot where a ground blind is gonna go up this week so that next time there's no excuses.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Hank Tucker Outdoors ProStaff was just increased. Thanks to xbowguy's assistance in locating some used crossbows, I am now the owner of a one year old Horton Ultra Lite. Looks like the wife and kids will be able to hunt with me in the future. I won't say "near future" yet. I am hoping "near future", but at least sometime in the future. When I am confident in any of their shooting abilities, maturity, responsibility to make ethical shots, and dedication to trying hunting, one of them will have the opportunity to hunt deer with an actual weapon in their hands! I am stoked!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A bit of an update. I feel so blessed right now. Yesterday, Garrett and I took a quad ride to swap a camera card. On the way out, the neighbor was outside. I told him it was up to HIM to ask permission. She granted permission. So we continue on our ride and pull up to the stand. We climb in the double stand and he is doing well at 17.5'. We climb down and look for tracks. Found some nice ones in the area and disappointingly failed to find a suitable tree to hang a second camera. We drove on around to a location I could hang a camera and took care of that.

Next we drive around the path and swap the card in the camera which was on a 2.5 week soak. Drove along the field edges as I was hoping to show him what a scrape looked like. Found none so we drove on. Re-enter the woods and lookey there "Hey Garrett! What is that? There is a scrape!"

Short version: Found three total in a small area and Garrett found one of them before I did. Then I showed him a rub (he has seen them before, but never fresh ones) and we continue on to find a rub line. On the other side of the woods, we found a fourth scrape as well. Oh yeah!

Today: My daughter was the one bugging me to shoot the bow. Since the crossbow is still at Horton, she was okay shooting the Lil' Bear recurve. Her and Garrett shot it plenty today. Just let them have at it until they were done. I am so proud of them and happy for them. Inside, I am busting at the seams, but I am trying not to let them see it. Telling them I am proud, but trying not to push it on them. I still want them to want it for themselves. Life is good!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pictures via phone. First is Garrett in 2 man stand.
uploadfromtaptalk1352680113087.jpg

Garrett checking some tracks 10 ft from tree stand.
uploadfromtaptalk1352680166136.jpg

A couple of rubs.
uploadfromtaptalk1352680193875.jpg

Three scrapes within 30-40yds of each other in woods.
uploadfromtaptalk1352680237355.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1352680251890.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1352680268799.jpg

Another nice rub a bit higher up on bigger tree!
uploadfromtaptalk1352680311627.jpg

The fourth scrape found.
uploadfromtaptalk1352680343735.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For those others looking at this thread I have a little warning: Start buying stuff now.

You listening? 5cent? Drake? Curran? Jesse? Beener? Uh huh. I just outfitted Garrett through Cabelas. Started at the bargain cave. Checked off a couple items. Boots are a freakin' killer. I knew we were going to get stuck spending $20-30 for some winter boots soon though. Made the $41 a "little" bit easier to swallow. Too bad he will outgrow them by next year. Some of the stuff will be good for years: Baclava, hand warmer muff, socks (50% Merino wool and I cheated and bought them in the Bargain Cave women's section lol). I am crossing my fingers and hoping he can get 2 years and hopefully 3 out of the jacket/pants. Debated between coveralls vs bib/jacket combo. Spent a little more to get the wind proof/waterproof. They had his size in Cabelas Silent Suede Dry-Plus pants for $40 vs regular $110 and Parka at $60 vs regular $130. Grand total $100 vs $53 for the coveralls. That one was tough to swallow until I thought about a shivering 8yr old that wants to be out hunting telling me he wanted to go home to get some hot chocolate. In all reality though, I have a feeling the $140 for boots/jacket/pants was well spent and I am sure some of you guys with younger kids will be loving me when you get it for about half that in a couple years. lol

BROCK: You were the one that told me I better not scrimp on the clothes as it would turn a kid off faster than anyone. Not sure if I should say thank you or screw you? :smiley_chinrub: Probably thank you on the first cold and drizzly day we are in the stand.

Okay. I am done venting. Just a bit different than buying for yourself. I can go without and add an item here and there when I find it on clearance. Outfitting the kid in one shot added up though. Glad I had a $20 rebate on orders over $150 and $31.47 on my Cabelas Club visa. That shaved $50 off the total.

Huckleberry Finn

So is he bouncing penny's off your wallet and hoping they hit a deer? I missed my first deer in jeans and a carhartt jacket...

Seriously man - g-u-n hunt. It's not dirty...youth season commin right up. Gun hunting when it's 50 degrees out vs. cross bow hunting over corn in January? Put reduced recoil slugs into your semi or 90 grains of powder into a muzzy and get the boy out there....

oakswamper

around Toledo
Both of my daughters enjoy hunting, they took the hunter safety test when they were 10 and 13 with no help lol.
After they got hunting license I bought them youth 20's and I had them shooting a lot around the farm. When they were handling their guns without help I took them squirrel hunting and they loved it.
They still love huntin and will both be deer huntin with me in the swamp this year when gun season comes in.
My oldest is 25 and youngest is 22. There is good advice in this thread but it sounds like you have it under control

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seriously man - g-u-n hunt. It's not dirty...youth season commin right up. Gun hunting when it's 50 degrees out vs. cross bow hunting over corn in January? Put reduced recoil slugs into your semi or 90 grains of powder into a muzzy and get the boy out there...

I agree with you Steve. Two problems: He doesn't want to gun hunt. He is a bit gun shy. Garrett has sensitive ears. Next summer we will start working on it with more plinking targets with a 22 and work our way up. I have thought about a youth model 20g. Short stock in a 20g is still a lot for a kid that weighs 50-60lbs AND is afraid of it. Might need to get creative. Maybe semiauto will reduce some of the recoil (although he will only get one shell lol). Maybe a muzzle loader with lower charge? There are options I know. This year just isn't the year for it.

lung buster

hocking county
70 grains of loose and a 200 grain sabot along with with a limbsavor pad and my 6 yr old could shoot it all day long. I did put some weight in the stock too. He started with one 50 grain pellet and moved up. We take ear muffs when we hunt too. Good luck, it sounds like your on your way!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
My stepson is 11 and the first gun he shot was a rossi youth 20 ga. single shot...that thing has a crappy plastic butt plate on it and really put a hurting on his shoulder with #4 turkey loads...I felt so bad for the kid, felt like I let him down and ruined it all right off the bat....so now I put a slip on recoil pad on it and I'll see if he wants to use it this weekend, but I might try to convince him that it's time to shoot the T/C White mountain carbine in .50 cal... it should be the perfect muzzy for a youth with the shorter barrel on it.

In short, I attest to what Cotty is saying, unfortunately from experience.

I will put the .22lr barrel on the rossi for him and start working him away from being gun shy anymore.