Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Introducing your kids to deer hunting

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I didn't take it in a disrespectful way Mike. You and I grew up differently. You grew up with a hunting father and it seems as if it has always been part of you. I am in year 5 of deer hunting. I think it is different for those of us that didn't grow up in a hunting family. It is probably more natural for you and not something to think about as much as it is simply something everyone does.

Funny, you and I are pretty much in the same boat here.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
But Phil, your kids have grown up in a hunting family... Try to imagine their perspective in everything you folks do. You're a good dad, you know how this stuff works. Just dress 'em up and go. They don't HAVE to shoot anything. My daughter used to hunt with me all the time. She had a 20 yard shot at a doe and decided not to shoot due to it being sorta dark and hard to see through her little scope. I bought her a better scope the next day. Still, I was mighty proud she didn't take a shot she wasn't sure she could make. She has never shot a critter, but we always had a good time hunting together.

I agree.
My son went out with me for a couple years beofre he started carrying a wepon. Then it was a couple years of carrying the crossbow before he shot. He had several opportunities but did not feel right about the shot. At first I though maybe hunting wasn't for him but once he explained his reasons I realized he was doing just as he was taught making sure he could make a good shot for a quick ethical kill.
He did shoot a doe 2 yrs ago but we could not find her. He hit high. I reallythought that was going to be it for him. He was devistated on the thought that he injured a deer. It was a great learning opportunity for him and I truly believe has made him a better hunter. He has not harvested a deer yet but is still excited every year when deer season comes around.

The most important thing is that he and I have become lifelong hunting partners and if we never harvest a deer again the time we spen together in the field is priceless.

I recommend you go get a inexpensive crossbow with a red dot scope and shooting sticks.
Have them shoot some to get used to it then take them out.
If nothing else the memories are worth it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I spoke of my son over in the small game section as I've been taking him squirrel hunting with me at age 3. My wife originally thought I was nuts but his enthusiasm has her over on the idea. He asks regularly when we can go out again. To me that is the best part, that he wants to do it.

My plan is to start him with a red ryder perhaps this coming summer and work on that for a while and then move to a .22LR. I know its a few years before he gets to pull the trigger on anything more than targets but I'm excited for him. In the meantime I'm planning on possibly taking him turkey hunting with me (one of the reasons I bought one of those blinds) and even having him sit with a family member during a deer hunt of two. We mainly do drives and on the one drive if the deer cooperate you can see them as they go across some fields from one woods to the next (where the standers are at) and I also plan on having him around as we skin them out and butcher this year.

My plan is to make sure he is aware of the process by how our food gets to the table and see that we are eating what we are shooting. I also want to expose him to hunting as much as he wants when I can. Hunting with him is definitely different than by myself and I have to temper my expectations accordingly.

I grew up with my Dad hunting and I started shooting BB guns very young (my brother was small enough he couldn't cock a red ryder when he started). Eventually I took a Hunter ED course when I could read and understand it and started with a .410 (not sure if that was the best idea....) and used that for a few years until my Dad bought me the 20 ga I still use today. I didn't deer hunt (gun/muzzleload) until 7th or 8th grade. Some of my best hunting memories were not of the deer I shot but of the funny/unique things that happened. Like the day my dad and I were sitting on our property and a grouse flew up and sat on the branch of a tree not 10 yards from us, or the day we helped a friend of mine in college get his first deer.

My wife also grew up in a hunting family and went out a few times with her grandpa and even had deer in front of her with a gun to her shoulder but couldn't pull the trigger and it actually put her in tears afterward. She never went back out hunting until we were married and she has deer hunted with us for the last couple of years and has even carried a gun the last two. This year she has stated she might actually want to shoot at a deer if she sees one and wants to learn how to field dress a deer. She knows how much I love to hunt but doesn't have much desire to hunt other than a few days a year.

Two different people both growing up in hunting families but different appreciations for the same sport.

whack

Well I grew up with a dad that hunted and so I don't put a ton of thought into my kids hunting either they will or they won't. That being said my daughter was 2.5 year old last year and begged to go with me. She loves bows and hunting. So I sat and talked to her about it and she said she understood that daddy killed deer it was ok she wants to go. She only lasted 51 minutes but had a ball. This year I took her again she was so mad when we left after 90 minutes due to rain. She wanted us to get one. Don't push em let em make their own decisions about going. I don't buy her camo for our one hunt a year since she will outgrow in a few months. Pick a warm evening and take the kid no hunting clothes required to have fun. This looks like a happy lil girl to me image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of good advice here thus far.

My dad had me with him hunting and fishing since I was old enough to walk. I would just tag along... squirrel hunting, scouting for deer, tracking and field dressing deer. It wasn't until I was 8 years old that I got my hunting license. Dad started me out on small game... only hunting rabbits and squirrels. It wasn't until I was 12 years old that he let me go deer hunting. I know that every child is different, so the appropriate age to allow a child to go hunting will be different. But IMO, it takes an entirely different level of maturity and patience to go deer hunting than it does to go small game hunting. Personally, I don't think I would start my kid off in the deer woods. I'd take them small game hunting for 2 or 3 years before considering the next step.

One more thing... and this is simply my opinion... I'm not passing judgement on anyone else or anyone else's kids. IMO, if a kid can't go deer hunting without taking a laptop or a gameboy or an ipad or whatever to keep them entertained, maybe they shouldn't be going. I mean, if they can't sit there an enjoy the woods for what it is, are they really going for the right reasons? I just look at it like, if they're sitting there playing games the whole time, paying no attention to their surroundings, they're simply going along as a shooter, not as a hunter. "Hey, put that thing down... Here comes a deer." -- "Huh, what? Oh ok... BANG... Wow hunting is fun!" Don't get me wrong, I've played my share of Yahtzee while sitting on stand for an all-day sit.... But I don't really agree with using games and distractions as a way to keep them interested in hunting. Like I said, this all only my opinion. Keep in mind, I don't have any kids of my own and this could all change... but it's how I feel as of right now.

Buckmaster

Portage
You know my thoughts Phil. Here are my 2 in a ground blind with me, 7 and 4.

Attachments

• Anna and Brendan in powerline blind 9-29-12.jpg
    Anna and Brendan in powerline blind 9-29-12.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 92

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lots of good advice here thus far.

My dad had me with him hunting and fishing since I was old enough to walk. I would just tag along... squirrel hunting, scouting for deer, tracking and field dressing deer. It wasn't until I was 8 years old that I got my hunting license. Dad started me out on small game... only hunting rabbits and squirrels. It wasn't until I was 12 years old that he let me go deer hunting. I know that every child is different, so the appropriate age to allow a child to go hunting will be different. But IMO, it takes an entirely different level of maturity and patience to go deer hunting than it does to go small game hunting. Personally, I don't think I would start my kid off in the deer woods. I'd take them small game hunting for 2 or 3 years before considering the next step.

One more thing... and this is simply my opinion... I'm not passing judgement on anyone else or anyone else's kids. IMO, if a kid can't go deer hunting without taking a laptop or a gameboy or an ipad or whatever to keep them entertained, maybe they shouldn't be going. I mean, if they can't sit there an enjoy the woods for what it is, are they really going for the right reasons? I just look at it like, if they're sitting there playing games the whole time, paying no attention to their surroundings, they're simply going along as a shooter, not as a hunter. "Hey, put that thing down... Here comes a deer." -- "Huh, what? Oh ok... BANG... Wow hunting is fun!" Don't get me wrong, I've played my share of Yahtzee while sitting on stand for an all-day sit.... But I don't really agree with using games and distractions as a way to keep them interested in hunting. Like I said, this all only my opinion. Keep in mind, I don't have any kids of my own and this could all change... but it's how I feel as of right now.

I remember sitting there when I was young and tearing leaves apart and driving my dad nuts. I also remember falling asleep and my dad waking me up saying "hey, there's a deer". "WHat? BANG!"
LMAO!

The main thing with the games is it keeps them quiet. Otherwise, they'd be very fidgety. They will grow out of that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I remember sitting there when I was young and tearing leaves apart and driving my dad nuts. I also remember falling asleep and my dad waking me up saying "hey, there's a deer". "WHat? BANG!"
LMAO!

The main thing with the games is it keeps them quiet. Otherwise, they'd be very fidgety. They will grow out of that.

Kinda my thoughts TOO. I played in the dirt and whittled sticks. Same things as playing a game IMO...

I don't have kids, but I have introduced a lot of new hunters to the sport and have been around several kids as they cut their hunting teeth. Part of why I built my platform blind at my parents was for the "ease" of taking new hunters and kids out. IMO, it is all about the fun and the comfort. Lots of great advice on here about getting them started. My first one will be here in a few short weeks and with a mom that's a deer slayer and a dad that eats, sleeps, and breathes it, I doubt I have to worry about whether she'll want to go or not!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great input.

Brock- excellent point. To Garrett or Graci, they have mostly grown up around it. They look forward to it and ask every time I come home "Did you get one daddy?" When I do kill one, they always want to go see it. They have been there while skinning, butchering, processing, and packaging.

Don't remember who said it but I agree: I do not intend on making the kids field dress the deer. They should watch though.

Hoyt- they have been shooting a toy bow and this summer were shooting a Fred Bear recurve. Crossbow will probably end up in their hands soon. Whether they hunt with it or not? Time will tell.

Whatever happens, they will have more chances to sit with me this year than past years.

JB- I agree to an extent. Then again, how long can we sit without grabbing the phone to check email or log onto TOO? Lmao

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I also remember falling asleep and my dad waking me up saying "hey, there's a deer". "WHat?

I did this too. Of course, I was in my late forties.........:smiley_depressive:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Great thread!! I'm taking notes as well!! It will be a few years before my son even thinks about hunting (4 months old lol), but I can't wait to see if he is interested in it.

I started like most, tagging along with dad, uncles, and cousins on rabbit/squirrel hunts. As soon as I proved myself with the .410 single shot I was allowed to hunt. I was probably 8 or 9 if I remember correctly.

I was the one who took interest in deer hunting in my family, dad never did it, so we got into it together. I was there when my dad took his first deer as well as my brother, and we were all there when I got my first as well. Those are memories you just don't forget!

Best of luck with this Phil and I will be keep tabs on this thread and others as you introduce your children to the outdoors!

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I just started taking my son hunting last year at 10. That is the youngest kids can hunt here in Minnesota. I did not push my son into hunting I told him when he was ready and wanted to go just let me know. Last year I did every thing I could TOO put him in a spot where I knew there would be a lot of action, if kids arent bored I think they will enjoy it more. Sounds like your son is ready to go, enjoy it, it doesnt get better than that. The cross bows sound like a good idea but not legal here. I bought him a Savage youth model bolt action slug gun with a rifled barrel, that thing is a tack driver and doest kick to bad. I always make sure my son brings some type of electronic game but he has yet to use one in the blind.

Huckleberry Finn

Don't it spook the deerz when u rattle the dice in the cup? :smiley_confused_vra
:smiley_coolpeace:

That was a much needed laugh for me today, Dann - I appreciate it!

--

I strongly agree with what JBrown said. I went out hunting with my dad several times as a kid, pretty sure I drew in the snow with my gloves, but then again, that's upstate NY for ya! I took my hunter's ed test in a September, and went during the youth season with my dad that year (and maybe one day of regular season). Missed a buck, great memory. Sometime that fall I went on a rabbit hunt, and I can't even remember if my dad was there or not. I learned a great deal of my love for hunting with rabbits, with gentleman that's been running dogs for at least 40 years, and one that retired from 35 years with the Dept of Natural Resources - can you ask for any better teachers?

I've never really been around crossbows, but I can't imagine bow hunting without having killed a deer with a gun first, but maybe that's just me. Philburt, wasn't your first harvest with a gun? That seems the way to go - shooting (the right sized gun) is a heck of a lot of fun - with a bb gun, .22, 20, etc. (Though I do recall that I nearly started on the same 870 12 ga that's in my closet right now). Youth Gun Season (keep your opinions to other threads, nothing is perfect), is a hell of a great time to get a first time hunter out there to kill a deer!

Finally, I don't get the squeemish stuff about deer. Always loved dad coming home with a dead deer. We had close family friends and we'd process them together - I couldn't have been older than 6 and I was feeding the grinder. A little older than that and one winter we burned the carcasses when we were at their house, and we were given the money from the hides (back when they sold the hides for $5/piece). How's that for a learning lesson? Same friends, we were over there and their dad shot a doe while putting no trespassing signs up. We all got our boots on, I had to have been no older than 8, and we helped him gut the deer. Still remember the smell and steam from those green intestines coming out - we had to hold the legs apart! How's that for a learning lesson?

lung buster

hocking county
Nothing wrong with taking electronics in my opinion. We take several, ds, ipod,my phone etc. I also take a buddy heater when its cold. I do agree with Brock on good quality apparel. Good clothing and boots is a.must along with hand warmers when the weather turns. Anything that i can do to make them comfortable, i will. Alot of good info in this thread!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I grew up in a hunting crazy family. This is probably wrong of me to say, but I think I'll be heartbroken if my kid isn't interested in hunting. He is 19 months old now and has a toy bow he wont put down. Anytime I road scout he has to ride along with me and has his own little binocs I bought him. Whenever we see deer I will be looking through mine and notice him looking everywhere through his, usually backwards and upside down, lol. I already bought him a Red Rider that I will begin showing him how to use maybe next summer. The kid is velcro, anytime I leave his sight he's in search mode looking for me. I think he will wanna be in the woods and on the water.My intentions are to just take him out with me to the woods when Im after squirrel and just teach him the basics of Look, Listen, Wait, and Prepare. Just teaching them the art of sneaking through the woods quietly.

Just to add: My priorities have changed since becoming a Dad. I've already accomplished more than the average deer hunter. I have a multiple walls full of trophies. So many memories I couldn't tell in a 100 years all the great stories I have been a part of. But more often than not, I find myself looking at things like where a great groundblind spot will be for me and Greyson in 5-6 years. Or if I could get a buddy stand up and hidden enough in the setup I'm currently in. I imagine hunts taking place with him and I, similar to how my Dad took us. I cant wait for the day I get to take him and my Dad on a hunt together for Rabbit and Pheasant. To me, I guess Im at the point now I wanna do my part to teach and make sure a legacy continues and our heritage is taught for future generations. Anymore, I kinda feel like Im treading water just waiting til he's ready to help me write the next chapter out in the field.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just read the new and re-read the ones I had already read. There is a plethora of great info in this thread.

Hoytmania- I am buying a 3D target. Excellent point. I have several regular bag targets and block style target. I think a 3d target will really help. This way I can show them vitals and where to aim in a life sized target. Great great great point!

Redhunter- My respect goes out to you. Here is the only reason I am NOT pushy about it. I grew up without a ton. We had a little dirtbike and got to go riding in Maumee, or the Wayne or KY about 1-2x per year. I absolutely loved it. A friend of the family was a motorcycle nut. There were no shortages of motorcycles. His kids were so surrounded and flooded by them, not a single one of them had anything to do with them. This is why I keep them at a distance. I want them to know it and taste it. However, I want it to be a bit of a treat which THEY ask for and choose. Don't want to expect it out of them.

Clothes? Umm, yeah. Looks like I might need to spend a little bit. At a minimum, I guess some good boots and a buddy heater for the blind/tree house.

I have had some PMs taking place in regards to xbows. All this advice has been appreciated.

You guys are great. I see this thread turning into a Sticky. Excellent info in here.

Shoulder Blade

I have a 3 year old son and I am not pushing it.

I watch hunting shows and for a while I'd change the channel or distract him when the shot goes off. Now I just let them play. He sees all my mounts and recently tells me that I shouldn't shoot deer cause they are soooo cute.

So far I think he likes all the other aspects of hunting but most likely because I like it.

I don't know why but I don't know what to say to that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I grew up in a hunting crazy family. This is probably wrong of me to say, but I think I'll be heartbroken if my kid isn't interested in hunting. He is 19 months old now and has a toy bow he wont put down. Anytime I road scout he has to ride along with me and has his own little binocs I bought him. Whenever we see deer I will be looking through mine and notice him looking everywhere through his, usually backwards and upside down, lol. I already bought him a Red Rider that I will begin showing him how to use maybe next summer. The kid is velcro, anytime I leave his sight he's in search mode looking for me. I think he will wanna be in the woods and on the water.My intentions are to just take him out with me to the woods when Im after squirrel and just teach him the basics of Look, Listen, Wait, and Prepare. Just teaching them the art of sneaking through the woods quietly.

Just to add: My priorities have changed since becoming a Dad. I've already accomplished more than the average deer hunter. I have a multiple walls full of trophies. So many memories I couldn't tell in a 100 years all the great stories I have been a part of. But more often than not, I find myself looking at things like where a great groundblind spot will be for me and Greyson in 5-6 years. Or if I could get a buddy stand up and hidden enough in the setup I'm currently in. I imagine hunts taking place with him and I, similar to how my Dad took us. I cant wait for the day I get to take him and my Dad on a hunt together for Rabbit and Pheasant. To me, I guess Im at the point now I wanna do my part to teach and make sure a legacy continues and our heritage is taught for future generations. Anymore, I kinda feel like Im treading water just waiting til he's ready to help me write the next chapter out in the field.

We are of like mind. I have a little girl on the way and with her mother hunting TOO, I doubt I have to even try to get her to hunt. And if she doesn't, I'll be pretty upset about it. At least until I have a son and then he damn well better want to hunt! LOL. If I have kids that don't want to hunt and don't do sports, I'm not real sure what I'll do with them! LOL.

I spent an hour last night looking over a spot wondering how I could make it a great early/late season box blind set up for the wife and kid(s). I don't have near the wall I wanted to have at this point in my career, but they'll come. I'm already in a different kind of mode when it comes to my hunting and thoughts of hunting with my little girl really drive me now...