Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Group Hunt - Hunting Game Plan

mrex

*Supporting member*
Brock has set up a buddy ladder stand on my side of Lake Hill Rd and I've offered up a buddy ladder stand where my boys and I hunted when they were younger to Mike and his kids on some private ground I have access to in the Hocking River Bottom across from the dam. I just bought 20 acres off of SR 690 a few miles from the campground that you can hunt. In addition to knowing the park pretty well, I can show you a few other places worth looking at in the area.

Here's a piece of advice to consider when hunting public ground...everyone...and I mean EVERYONE has "mountaineer syndrome" regarding where to hunt. Especially the non residents. Everybody thinks they can outsmart / outwork the masses by getting back to the most remote areas because everyone knows that "that's where the big ones are." Your chances for hunter interference are far greater on the south side of the lake because it is more difficult to access. Mounty is partially right when he says you can use where other hunters go to your advantage. Be cognizant to the fact that most of the human intrusion in the park is not hunters but rather hikers, mountain bikers and and people on horseback. The deer in trail areas become desensitized to humans because they interact with them all year. When the hunters show up in the more remote areas, starting in September, it's a shock which makes them more nocturnal. I know this from experience and have had a fair amount of success hunting in areas that are "hidden in plain sight." I'll show some examples when you get here.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I am not sure about any open fields except for the one just past the campground on the right and its in the bottom across from a huge pile of old wood. I can speak for what I know about Strouds, if you are hunting over an open field(except the campground)it is most likely private. Unless by field you mean 20 ft bare spot as there are some of those around.. but not many. If you drive up and around the campground road you will see a red gate and a large open field, I think you might mean coming in from the campground to get into this field. That field and around it are private, he leases to some boys from Louisana. Oh, I forgot. There is an area thats an overgrown field where the old shooting range is right next to the road but it is in the bottom as well.

Louisiana and Mississippi...also, we're working working on a brand new restroom at the back end of the campground near #38!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brock has set up a buddy ladder stand on my side of Lake Hill Rd and I've offered up a buddy ladder stand where my boys and I hunted when they were younger to Mike and his kids on some private ground I have access to in the Hocking River Bottom across from the dam. I just bought 20 acres off of SR 690 a few miles from the campground that you can hunt. In addition to knowing the park pretty well, I can show you a few other places worth looking at in the area.

Here's a piece of advice to consider when hunting public ground...everyone...and I mean EVERYONE has "mountaineer syndrome" regarding where to hunt. Especially the non residents. Everybody thinks they can outsmart / outwork the masses by getting back to the most remote areas because everyone knows that "that's where the big ones are." Your chances for hunter interference are far greater on the south side of the lake because it is more difficult to access. Mounty is partially right when he says you can use where other hunters go to your advantage. Be cognizant to the fact that most of the human intrusion in the park is not hunters but rather hikers, mountain bikers and and people on horseback. The deer in trail areas become desensitized to humans because they interact with them all year. When the hunters show up in the more remote areas, starting in September, it's a shock which makes them more nocturnal. I know this from experience and have had a fair amount of success hunting in areas that are "hidden in plain sight." I'll show some examples when you get here.

I've been a firm believer in this for the past five years or so. Some of the best spots I've hunted down in Morgan Co have been very very short walks in. Hell, one particular creek bottom we've been hunting in for the past 10 years is right up against the road! I can walk to the base of my tree in less than 5 minutes. Yet we've only ever run into one group of guys and we always see big deer running through that bottom.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Louisiana and Mississippi...also, we're working working on a brand new restroom at the back end of the campground near #38!

I noticed that Mike, a great big thank you to you and the Mrs. for getting it in there. It will make the trek shorter in case of emergency!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you are all going to be accommodated pretty well. I wish you all the best of luck this weekend!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Walked to the spot and I wanted to hunt and Wa-La!!! :smiley_clap:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350651968.136866.jpg

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My sit tonight. Scared 9 out setting it up this morning.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350676056303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350676056303.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 76
  • uploadfromtaptalk1350676078366.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350676078366.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 73
  • uploadfromtaptalk1350676122868.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350676122868.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 78
  • uploadfromtaptalk1350676241984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350676241984.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 78

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Looks like a great setup! 3rd pic looks to have a pretty nice trail running through unless I'm seeing things.

Best of luck this evening Charles!