Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Group Hunt - Hunting Game Plan

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't know where the stand is Mike, but I know the area as I've asked Rex about that area before. It's a sweet spot!

I have a spot where I think a blind would be a good option. Leave the campground and walk NW up that drainage and as it heads out, there is a small field on that ridge top right along the park boundary. There are a couple other areas I like also and we can look at those Friday.

I was looking at that earlier today. Close to camp TOO

According to the Auditor's website, that field is private property, if I am looking at the same place.

I was also looking at heading back towards the beaver pond on the NW boundary of the map. It's a half mile walk in off the road, but there appears to be a trail there. Maybe go back there and set up 200y west of the pond.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I really have no clue what I am doing with these maps. The area that seems to catch my eye is around the pioneer cemetery. Which would be the 800 mark west of the word state.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I am not sure about any open fields except for the one just past the campground on the right and its in the bottom across from a huge pile of old wood. I can speak for what I know about Strouds, if you are hunting over an open field(except the campground)it is most likely private. Unless by field you mean 20 ft bare spot as there are some of those around.. but not many. If you drive up and around the campground road you will see a red gate and a large open field, I think you might mean coming in from the campground to get into this field. That field and around it are private, he leases to some boys from Louisana. Oh, I forgot. There is an area thats an overgrown field where the old shooting range is right next to the road but it is in the bottom as well.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why do you say that Jim????

A nice saddle between two drainage bottoms, at the head of two finger ridges leading to the lake (that both have prominent south-facing slopes)... AND I'd bet there's a nice bench trail running parallel to the ridgetop, which is also directly downwind of that large bottom to the WNW. Seems like an obvious buck travel corridor to me, just based on the map alone. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. A lot of so-called "obvious" honeyholes turn out to be completely void of deer sign when you put the boot leather to the ground. A lot of the best spots don't show up at all on a map...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A nice saddle between two drainage bottoms, at the head of two finger ridges leading to the lake (that both have prominent south-facing slopes)... AND I'd bet there's a nice bench trail running parallel to the ridgetop, which is also directly downwind of that large bottom to the WNW. Seems like an obvious buck travel corridor to me, just based on the map alone. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. A lot of so-called "obvious" honeyholes turn out to be completely void of deer sign when you put the boot leather to the ground. A lot of the best spots don't show up at all on a map...

Oh yeah that's what I saw too...... :smiley_confused_vra rotflmao I am so low tech it's scarey!!!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe, you still gonna pack a 'yak? LOL

Yep.. One place I want to look is that T is "State" Short paddle across the lake and looks to be very isolated from roads. We can use rex's the john boat too retrieve deer.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What I see is a gently sloping oak flat leading towards water.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh yeah that's what I saw too...... :smiley_confused_vra rotflmao I am so low tech it's scarey!!!!!

Here's some more reasoning behind it... lol... Notice all the pines...

---

Here's another spot that's got my attention, just east of Beener's choice. I have a special place in my heart for a hot creek crossing during the rut, and I think there's gotta be one somewhere here that's dynamite...

Fugg... I really wish I could make this trip... :smiley_boos:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jim your second choice east of Beener I also caught my eye. I have decided to bring two setups one for me and one for austin. I thought this would be a cool opportunity for austin to do some solo sits for the first time. I would however like to be setup within eye shot if not a hundred or so yards from him.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Jim your second choice east of Beener I also caught my eye. I have decided to bring two setups one for me and one for austin. I thought this would be a cool opportunity for austin to do some solo sits for the first time. I would however like to be setup within eye shot if not a hundred or so yards from him.

That is a lot of fun Steve. My father and I use to do that all the time! You could cover more ground, see each other, and hunt on your own all at the same time. We still do it on occasion.