Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Group Hunt - Hunting Game Plan

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am posting the topo map I threw together this afternoon and a link to the Strouds PDF that the DNR provides. Take some time to look over the maps and pick out a few locations you'd like to hunt. Once we are all on site, we can talk things over and get an idea of who is going where. I figured it would be best to sort this out while we are all standing around the fire, but we can toss our ideas here in the mean time. With 2,600 acres and less than 26 guys, I'm sure we can all survive on 100 acres a man!!!

I'm looking to park off of Hope Road and walk in from that area. It would not be a bad idea for 2-3-4-5 guys to go to certain access spots and walk in together. Anyone wanting to hunt in that general area is welcome to go with me. That is where I hunted in college some...

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/stroudsrunparkmap.pdf

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Jesse,

I will roll with you to that area. Doesn't really matter to me where I go but I agree with the idea of folks entering/exiting together to ensure all are accounted for.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Where is Hope Rd on the map? Can't see it anywhere. Are we restricted to just the area inside the red line? What about the WNF at the top of the map?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hope Road is on the very bottom of the map in the middle. I want to spread 2-3-4 guys out around that saddle just north of where it says "Mansfield Cem".

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hope Road is on the very bottom of the map in the middle. I want to spread 2-3-4 guys out around that saddle just north of where it says "Mansfield Cem".

That looks like a great area! I'll hunt in there with ya if you need someone. I'll be bringing a blind that me and one of the boys can hunt in. Just a suggestion. We can hash it out when we get down there, I'm shooting for 12:00-1:00 Friday afternoon.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Jesse will you mark where the campground is on this map? I would like to find a way to where it says Strouds Run CH.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That looks like a great area! I'll hunt in there with ya if you need someone. I'll be bringing a blind that me and one of the boys can hunt in. Just a suggestion. We can hash it out when we get down there, I'm shooting for 12:00-1:00 Friday afternoon.

X2.... I'll be hunting off of the ground and I can close up any opening not having any suitable trees too put up in. If there is something too sit against I can do that.... I'll be down there around 11-12 Friday as well.... I'll be the one calling asking where the hell is everyone :smiley_coolpeace:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
X2.... I'll be hunting off of the ground and I can close up any opening not having any suitable trees too put up in. If there is something too sit against I can do that.... I'll be down there around 11-12 Friday as well.... I'll be the one calling asking where the hell is everyone :smiley_coolpeace:

Jay I am bringing a blind that is going to be extra. Free to use it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As of right now, MRex has offered up a buddy stand for me and one of the boys. He said it's on a piece of land across from Strouds. Not sure where though. Pretty dang nice of him. I just hope he's pops in to point me in the right direction.

If I end up hunting that, I may either put my older boy in a blind below it so he's with me, or could use a volunteer to take one of the kids in the blind somewhere. Or, one of you guys could sit in the buddy stand with one. Whatever works... Lots of options.

Keep in mind, my younger boy is doe only. So, if someone who is buck hunting wants to steal him and you take a buck and he takes a doe that could work.

Or, I can take both in a blind. Just thinking out loud...

Now I'm gonna look at the map.

Diablo54

Outside
As of right now, MRex has offered up a buddy stand for me and one of the boys. He said it's on a piece of land across from Strouds. Not sure where though. Pretty dang nice of him. I just hope he's pops in to point me in the right direction.

If I end up hunting that, I may either put my older boy in a blind below it so he's with me, or could use a volunteer to take one of the kids in the blind somewhere. Or, one of you guys could sit in the buddy stand with one. Whatever works... Lots of options.

Keep in mind, my younger boy is doe only. So, if someone who is buck hunting wants to steal him and you take a buck and he takes a doe that could work.

Or, I can take both in a blind. Just thinking out loud...

Now I'm gonna look at the map.

Id be happy to take one of the youngins out. Me being young like them I feel as if he would be less nervous around me than one of you scary lookin old guys..haha just saying I have no problem taking klay or kody to try to kill something.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, if I'm understanding MRex's description correctly, the buddy stand he is talking about is in the Hocking River bottom across the road. I'm assuming it's in the vicinity of Hope Rd. So, it looks like I'll be somewhat near you in regard to the drive to the spot. Maybe I'm way off.

Maybe Brock knows where Rex means?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Id be happy to take one of the youngins out. Me being young like them I feel as if he would be less nervous around me than one of you scary lookin old guys..haha just saying I have no problem taking klay or kody to try to kill something.

Taylor, I appreciate that buddy!

Let's see what develops, but if you want one you got one. ;) They are already cool with the idea of hunting with someone else. Klay, of course knows a few of you guys and he is fine with it.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread... carry on with the mapping.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't know where the stand is Mike, but I know the area as I've asked Rex about that area before. It's a sweet spot!

I have a spot where I think a blind would be a good option. Leave the campground and walk NW up that drainage and as it heads out, there is a small field on that ridge top right along the park boundary. There are a couple other areas I like also and we can look at those Friday.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm going to rent a helicopter and parachute down onto the hilltops, then just drag 'em downhill and wait for a someone to pick me up.

Man I am so ready for this day to be over

In all seriousness, the spot where the "900" elevation is marked in the block right next to the block that has the word State in it....that looks like a place I'd like to drag myself up to, I'll bet there are multiple trails running parallel to the hill in that area

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't know where the stand is Mike, but I know the area as I've asked Rex about that area before. It's a sweet spot!

I have a spot where I think a blind would be a good option. Leave the campground and walk NW up that drainage and as it heads out, there is a small field on that ridge top right along the park boundary. There are a couple other areas I like also and we can look at those Friday.

I was looking at that earlier today. Close to camp TOO