Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spikes

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
PICT0662.jpg What do you guys do with these types?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Let them walk. You can't tell if he'll be a Booner at 4.5 or a 125 at this point. But if you kill him, he'll never get any bigger that's for sure.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Probably not, but that doesn't mean he can't become a 140-150" type deer given time to mature. He could have been a late fawn, or it could just be poor genetics. Regardless, it's TOO early to know exactly what he'll be and if dies this year, that's all she wrote...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Let him walk.....The old saying "A spike is always a spike" is hogwash. You may be able to Google something like "Do spikes become trophy deer?" And get some info to back this up. I read a very good article once with illustrations that say's he could turn out to be a dandy buck.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
honestly unless your managing super large chunks of land killing that deer would not benefit your heard even if he did have bad genes.

Its like on these hunting shows youll see guys say we are managing out land for typical 10s so any 4.5 year old 8 must die.

I keep it simple try to let the young ones walk, you probably will not be able to pick that deer out of the 2.5 year olds on that farm next year. I almost guarantee it.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
First deer I ever shot had only one antler, just like the one on his left side.

And it was longer than 3"

That was then, this is now, he gets the pass