Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Great Saturday Hunt

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Didn't put anything down, but wow, Saturday was a great day.

Got in my fieldside stand early but saw nothing - decided to move to my hillside blind at 9:15.
Stillhunting my way up the hill, caught movement at 40 yds and watched a doe move up the hill right past my stand, moving exactly as I'd anticipated when scouting the stand. Watched her for a few minutes as she moved past then over the hill. Continuing up caught more movement, again about 40 yds...nice medium sized buck milling around, then watched him rub the shit out of a couple of different saplings....BIG DEAL for me because I've seen probably a thousand rub sites but never witnessed it in person. Waited as he did his business then moved off. A few minutes later I check my six and there's a doe, unaware of me. I waited till she put her head down and slowly turned...but I didn't see the two that were with her and they busted me.

Made my way to my stand - by this time it's 11:30 and I'm thinking the midday stroll is over. But at 1:00 I had a doe follow the trail right in front of my stand. Didn't bust me, but she kinda caught me off guard and I wasn't ready to shoot, so she's still alive...for now. (truth be told...she caught me dozing) Around 3:00 I had a bunch of turkeys around me...again, I didn't get busted.

Sunday morning was very windy - left the hillside stand at 10:15 because stuff was falling like crazy and nothing was happening. I'd parked Slugger about 10 yrds off the trail, had just put my bow in the rack and was putting my pack on the back and heard a ruckus and that same buck from the morning before took off up the hill on the path towards my stand. Apparently he came walking down the atv trail unaware of me till he saw me. 10 yds away. I know it was the same guy because of the antler color...kinda reddish. I'm gonna go back and try to get him Thurs/Friday before going down to Strouds Run.

You don't have to kill something to have a great hunt. This new property is tits.

My goals for the season are very modest - a buck, a doe, and to improve my woodsmanship.
And hopefully put something down with my muzzleloader.

This might sound funny, but I learned how to stillhunt on the internet. Saw guys talking about stillhunting, asked questions, and Joe gave a very detailed explanation that I've been following and getting better at. And I'm getting much much better at reading the woods, again utilizing the information I pick up from all of your stories and experiences. I'm really looking forward to spending some time talking deer deer deer with you guys this weekend, (for at least as long as everyone is sober)

We should start a "stillhunting for newbies" thread in the knowledge forum

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal man! Sounds like you had a great couple of days out there. I really wish I had the patience that is necessary to be an effective still-hunter.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great hunt and story, Dan!

And BTW, stillhunting is my absolute favorite way to hunt. Glad to see you are doing it. Many people refuse to believe how close you can get to deer once you've learned the technique, but you can and nothing is more exciting!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's a good couple of days Dan..... I've seen bucks make rubs and scrapes a couple of time over the years.... always cool too watch and learn....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a enjoyable weekend. I have seen bucks rubbing couple times, seen bucks working a scrape maybe once. But in over 40 yrs of deer hunting this is the 1st time I ever seen a fawn nurse on a doe and that was neat (not ther doe I shot). But then I never really hunted this early in the season.
Frank

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've never had and never figured I'd have a "target buck", as I'm pretty much a weekend warrior and have only seen the same buck multiple times once.
I'm going back Thurs and Friday morning and hoping this is his mid-morning spot, his pre-rut pattern.
Now he's not big, but if I can get this specific buck, it'll be like a booner to me

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read Dan! Like Jim, I followed right along with ya. Sounds like a great plan you have laid out this year. Goodluck this week and looking forward to seeing ya at deer camp.