Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strouds Camping Checklist

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The camping is primitive. There are potable water spigots and drinking fountains but no electric. My wife has the boat rental business at the ramp and there's a small boat house/log cabin there with several indoor and outdoor electrical outlets you can use for charging phones. AT&T does well up on the ridges and Verizon is good everywhere. There's a small chest freezer in the boat house if you need to keep something frozen. I have a portable propane heater and gas grill at the boat house you're welcome to use. I will also make sure we keep a few canoes and a john boat with a small outboard motor near the ramp that will get you around the lake.

There's 2,600 acres of public hunting in the park and several other parcels you can hunt on near by. Be aware that you wont have it all to yourselves but I know a guy who knows the area pretty well...;)

I've got some friends from New Hampshire who hunt with me every year arriving on the 19th so I am kinda obligated to spend time with them that weekend but I will certainly check in from time to time. I'll be bringing a guest for the campfire Saturday night.

Thanks again!

I think at last count there were around 25 or so that are coming.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am not coming but I have done some colder weather camping and backpacking. Dry clothes is a definite prior to bed time. Another good tip is to eat some high fat food (gorp, nuts, etc) prior to bed so you have plenty of energy in your body to generate warmth. Also, you can take one of the older styled nalgenes (the super tuff ones, not the thin ones) and pour boiling water directly into them without them melting. Then wrap that up in a fleece sweatshirt and toss into your sleeping bag as a hot water bottle for the night. My wife requests this every time we camp when its in the 40s or lower.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Beer,backstraps,chicken or chili,paper products,sleeping bag,blind,seat,bow and arrahs,gear,cooler full of ice,cooking utensils,extra tent if anyone needs it,apple pie(if my buddy has any extra)and a treestand and steps if I decide to pull one here. Plan is to head out Friday morning before noon.

Gordo

Athens County
I'll say it one more time. I'm right down the road and can help with whatever. I do have a generator that I can drop down if it'd b of help. Or anything else. Just let me know

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'll say it one more time. I'm right down the road and can help with whatever. I do have a generator that I can drop down if it'd b of help. Or anything else. Just let me know

You might as well come down and spend an evening or two now that you don't have to "hunt hard" that weekend!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It looks like Friday evenings dinner isn't spoken for so I will make some chilli. Got it narrowed down to two recipes. So I need your help deciding.

Three Way Burn

or

Skeeter Killing Chilli

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just scored three good sleeping bags off of a co-worker. Her sons and her husband do a weekend squirrel excursion every year just west of where we will be, somewhere near Nelsonville. That saved me some money!

I got OK'd to leave work a little early on Friday. So, if I get out of here at 2:00 with Kody (he's in the same building) then grab Klay at his school, I should be on the road by 3:00 at the latest. That'll get me there by 6:00 with some daylight to set up in. That's the goal anyway...

Sorry for the rambling, just thinking out loud.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It looks like Friday evenings dinner isn't spoken for so I will make some chilli. Got it narrowed down to two recipes. So I need your help deciding.

Three Way Burn

or

Skeeter Killing Chilli

Do y'all like corn bread? If so I'll ask the wife too cook up a batch....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If someone else could bring one of the plastic folding tables it would be nice. I was going to but mine needs fixed. I gotta learn not to loan stuff out...